late night chickens

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
so I live in Las Vegas Nevada this year is very warm here but this issue has been going on for a while my chickens do not go in when the Sun Goes Down during summer time I'm chasing them in about 10 o'clock at night during the winter time about 8 p.m. At night I am NOT concerned and this question has nothing to do with predators my question is because my chickens are not following the season and how many minimal winter hours and sleeping will this shorten their life or have any of it ill effect on their health

curious! do they go in on their own at all? how long have you had them?

Over the years, I've had flocks that go in an hour before sundown, and some that have stayed out til there is no light at all.

Could there be anything in the coop bothering them? I've heard that when chickens have mites, they don't want to go into the coop because they get bit so badly at night. You could check on them after they have been in the coop for about an hour - use a flashlight or head lamp, look for little mites running away under the feathers - vent area, under wings, etc.

It Happened One Night 2 summers ago my buff Orpingtons was inside my room with me and the Sun went down she was hanging out and when I told her it's time to go to the coop I walked her out and she discovered the water bugs and all the other juicy bugs that come out at night she then informed my other three chickens and since then they wait for night time so the good bugs come out we now have a bug shortage. They going to coop by themselves if its cold out they go in early however like this winter well its 6:46 p.m. Right now and they're still hanging outside they don't go in by 8 p.m. I chase them in. there's nothing in the coop they're scared of or any of that they just like to hang out they don't like to go to bed early the positive side is they sleep in until about 730 in the morning most mornings. I just worry because they don't follow the cycle that they should be following as a chicken and that it may bring them health issues

Last edited:
Do you have any yard lights, or street lamps that are giving them enough light to want to stay out and play. Sounds like that might be the case if they are finding lots of bugs to eat at night. Here's my recommendation: If you have outside lights, turn them off. If that's not the issue, then it's time to train them. Chickens are food motivated. So, every evening, when it's approaching dusk, take a small can of scratch, shake it around so they hear it, call them, and toss the scratch into the coop. They should scramble to get inside for the goodies. Shut the door. It should take about 3 nights to train them. If they are not motivated to go in for the scratch, they may be too well fed. it does not hurt a chicken to keep them just a little bit hungry so they'll be motivated to follow the scratch can! I find it's almost always counterproductive to try to chase a chicken to get her to go where I want her to go. Far easier to train them to come when called.

once again my question is NOT how to get them in before the Sun down it is health question and how much damage by not keeping a natural chicken cycle with the weather and what it does to their bodies.

The biggest health issue that I can see is Mr. Owl, or any of his night time companions munching on them during the night. But, not seeing your set up, i don't know if that would be an issue.

knock on wood but the only predator that I've had issue with was humans trying to steal my chickens I now have to lock them up at night with a lock but we live in a big city now if it got out of the yard that's a whole nother story specially at night cuz we got coyotes we do have stray cats are cats but my dog seem to keep them out of the yard

other than predators (even though you live in the city you are not free of them), I do not see their sleeping cycle as a health problem. They can doze during the day as they choose, and you noted that they sleep in late!

Back
Top Bottom