Latecomer :)

Arcnova

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Hi. I'm relatively new to chickens. I'm into my fourth year raising them though my family raised some when I was a teenager and I had a few pet chickens in my late teens.
I'm busy learning about chicken genetics and how to keep my birds really healthy.

I have nine adult hens at the moment and one rooster. Most of them are mutts. I have one white leghorn, one brown leghorn, two maran Easter egger crosses (the rooster and one of the hens they were supposed to be pure blue copper marans but oh well), two leaky black mutts, one gold and splash Easter egger, two polish crosses, and one Easter egger barred rock cross. Whew!
I also have 22, two week old, barnyard mutt chicks from my flock and my MILs. And 42 eggs in the incubator.

As for other pets I also have three ducks, two cats, two boys (5 and 3), and one hubby.

I'm having fun experimenting with color genetics with my mutt flock. Had some surprises in my first hatch this year, lots of quail pattern chicks and one that looks like a blue laced gold Wyandotte with puffy cheeks ( that one really startled me, and I know which hen it came from! ) as well as some other evidence of Pg and one odd columbian pattern chick! Experimenting to see if any of my hens have it in them to go broody. One looks like she wants to and it just figures she's my most reliable layer, lol.

I have lots of plant attempts going, Apple starts, rose starts, apricot starts, just about anything I can get my hands on really. Starting to wish I had more space :) .

I'm scatter brained and tend to disappear for months at a time so don't take it personally if I don't answer a message right away. I'm not interested in any drama, life is dramatic enough all on its own thank you very kindly. I realize that some of my views on topics that are likely to come up on this site may offend those who disagree with me and I respect everyone's right to their own opinion. I enjoy hearing other points of view as long nobody involved takes it personally.

I could use advice on line breeding and chicken genetics as well as advanced care topics. I have quite a bit of experience with hatching rescues if anyone needs it though I haven't encountered any foot problems with my chicks so I'm no help there. Had problems with my incubators the last two years thus the rescue experience lol! Also have a bit of experience modifying the little giant incubator for really dry climates. I may soon have some experience with duck wing surgery too though I hope not, wish me luck.

Thanks to all,
Arcnova

First hatch this year. :)

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on the successful hatch! Good luck with your new babies.
smile.png

I candled the ones I could and several where already showing signs of blood settling toward the edges like a blood ring. Power was out all night and the eggs themselves were about 70 degrees this morning. I could warm them back up and candle again in a few days to be sure I suppose.

Thank you for the encouragement, I'm pretty bummed about it. I hope it turns out ok but I fear the worst. Lost three batches to unexpected heat spikes last year. Even the broody ducks had poor hatches last summer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom