lathargic pullet

vttrissy

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2015
Middlesboro, KY
What's the matter with my pullet????
I have a 14 week old Black Star (not yet laying) who is slow and uninterested in food this morning. Last night we got back from a week's vacation and this pullet was missing. The housesitter said she was there in the morning. I found her asleep under a neighbor's bush (9pm) and put her in the coop.
This morning, she didn't walk out of the coop with my other 7, so I opened it up and took her out. She's walking slowly, barely looking at food (but did peck a couple of times) and very easy to catch (not normal). She also has some dried white crust on the feathers near her vent. Her vent seems fine and I can't see or feel any injuries on her body. She does have an averagely full crop.
Currently, I put her back in the coop to rest and she is not trying to walk out through the open door.
Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your pullet. It's so difficult to know for sure what it could be, but regardless, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't sound good for your pullet. I would recommend separating her so that whatever she has, if it's contagious, won't put the rest of your birds at any further risk. Also, you can then more closely monitor her in regard to how she's eating, whether she's pooping or not, etc. I like to use plastic dog crates for this, as they are easy to disinfect when I'm done with them. I use stainless steel cage cups for food & water.

Update: Monday she had no interest in food or water. I forced pedialyte three times and she was mildly more alert by evening. Tuesday morning, still no interest in food or water. I soaked dry dog food in the pedialyte and forced about a dozen pieces along with more pedialyte 4 times. Tuesday evening, she was curious about food but only took a couple pecks. This morning, she was hungry! I soaked her crumbles in pedialyte and she ate constantly for almost 30 minutes! I picked up Corid and started the flock on it today. Tonight, she's eating again. She's not being forceful enough to get in with the others at the food bowl, so seems to enjoy eating alone at a table for one. Things are looking up!

Back
Top Bottom