Lavender Ameraucana 4 weeks - cockerel?

That would make my decision about which cockerel to keep super easy, so I am fine with that! 2 from this hatch that I was considering keeping are already sparring over everything. This chi k is never involved. Super sweet & wants to perch on my shoulder, haha. Guess we'll see for sure in another month or 2.

I'm also leaning towards cockerel. I have two Easter Eggers, one a pullet and the other a rooster. They are currently 11 weeks old, and since I've gotten them I have been writing down all of their physical characteristics and personality traits. At 5 weeks, I noticed my rooster had 3 bumps like yours while the female had one long bump. At 7.5 weeks, my rooster, Uncle Sam, crowed and his comb was still a pale pinkish/yellow color at the time. Do you have any other Ameraucanas or pea comb pullets around the same age you can compare it too? Regardless of its gender, it sounds like you have a wonderful chick.

Nope, no pea combs the same age to compare. He was my one and only lav am to make it past day 3 in the incubafor (eggs were damaged during or before shipping, it seems. Everyone else in that hatch did great and all the chicks have been super healthy!). I do have an easter egger pullet (vent sexed) that had a very pink comb early on, and hers may be pea, but looks a bit different. She is pretty clearly part ameraucana because she has a wonderful bushy beard, haha. I have a wheaten marans cockerel hatched the same day as this guy, and he is so obviously a boy (even without the color sexing trait of that breed!).

I'm sorry to hear about the other Lav Am eggs being damaged during the shipping process, but I'm glad that the rest of your chicks are doing well. Be sure to update this post, Lavender Am are pretty birds and I'm curious about this ones gender.

Honestly, with his personality, and the personalities of the other cockerels I have so far, I am kind of hoping cockerel. Also then, I could hatch crazy barnyard mix easter and olive eggers. I have so many different breeds of pullets.

Back
Top Bottom