Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I purchased this boy from a breeder. He is now about 8 months old. He has a yellowish hue to his blue. How will this effect offspring? Also any comments about structure would be appreciated.

I'd like to breed him with the following two pullets once they start laying. They're only 20 weeks so I'm very expectant.

He is a beautiful Lavender Rooster the yellow is just sun bleaching my Rooster has a lot of it as he is out in the California sun all the time. He will make beautiful babies with your girls.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

I have one pullet that hatched with a beard and muff and has since gone away. I read the genes for beard and muff are incomplete dominant and would really like to use her because of her color (i really like the sherbert color )but would be horrified if they all lost the beards and muffs. Should his inhance what she lost? How long should I keep offspring if I test breed and how many males should I test her to?

I have recently Hatched out what looks to be a silver/purple Americana (Mix of Americana and Cemani) The two are already very different in color from other Americana Chicks I have seen. I am excited to see what colors develop (the colors in this picture are the closest, but you cant see the purple highlights in this picture) and yes , my wife gave them a plush lemur to be a surrogate mom... (I wish my wife had not gotten all artsy with the color of this photo) To the eye the chicks are much more silver and blue than these pictures.. better pictures coming...
Soooo cool looking. Can hardly wait for updated pics as they grow and develop! Please keep us posted?

He is a beautiful Lavender Rooster the yellow is just sun bleaching my Rooster has a lot of it as he is out in the California sun all the time.  He will make beautiful babies with your girls.

Can hardly wait to see what they produce. Of course, I'm living rather vicariously as I peruse this thread. I'm not yet able to start my flock
1f425.png
1f62a.png

Why are lavenders not recognized?

Because the variety has to be developed over a period of time so that they fit the ameraucana standard and then they have to be approved by the American Poultry Association and/or the American Bantam Association.

These are long processes that cost money and qualifying meets (shows) have to be set up. At this time there are not a lot of people showing the lavender variety. The APA also requires that five breeders sign an affidavit that they have bred the birds for five years. These five breeders must also be members of the APA during this time.

There is also some issues with the variety name the ameraucana breeders would like them to be called. The APA and ABA want us to use the term self blue instead of lavender. It will probably be a couple more years before everything gets ironed out and the variety can be accepted.

These are long processes that cost money and qualifying meets (shows) have to be set up. At this time there are not a lot of people showing the lavender variety. The APA also requires that five breeders sign an affidavit that they have bred the birds for five years. These five breeders must also be members of the APA during this time.
Do the breeders have to be members of the APA for the five years of breeding or can it be the ABA if they are bantams? Does the color get approved for both sizes automatically?

For getting both the large fowl and bantams accepted by the APA, yes the breeders have to be member for that five years. This is a new rule change that just took effect this year.

No, both have to have a qualifying meet and the APA and ABA are separate entities, so they will have different rules, etc.

Back
Top Bottom