Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

No beard/muff = not Ameraucana
Green egg = not Ameraucana
White egg = not Ameraucana unless bird is older and just losing blue egg color

The Ameraucana egg color chart has plenty of variations of greener eggs on it that are acceptable to the standard.

A better frame of reference would be that the interior of the egg is blue, but it's not always a deciding factor as I believe blue eggs are a dominant trait.

We all want bluer eggs, but many show lines aren't breeding for egg color, but for standard type.

Click the quote button at the bottom of the post and it will let you reply properly...
smile.png

And blues should be laced for proper color...

Around here, most breeders seem to be after a more even color but I can't find anything in the standards. Do you have a link to something I can reference?

There seem to be some differing opinions on Ameraucana egg color. Some do not consider green egg layers to be true descendants of the rumpless Chilean Araucana. But indeed, egg color is not considered in the U.S. for show birds.

http://www.heritagepoultry.org/learn/ameraucana.htm

Your post states that eggs may be blue or green but the shells must be blue in the first paragraph. Then it goes on to discuss the Easter Egger, which we are trying to properly distinguish from the purebred AMs on the majority of AM threads on BYC for newcomers to either breed. (Although the EE is a cross not a breed.) Thank you for the link.

Last edited:
Around here, most breeders seem to be after a more even color but I can't find anything in the standards. Do you have a link to something I can reference?

Sorry, I'm on mobile, links are hard for me to post... Lavender (Self Blue) should have even color, yes... but blue should be laced... it was discussed in depth on the reg Ameraucana thread... :)

Back
Top Bottom