Lavender Orpington Thread

I am looking for some help in telling weather i have hens or cockerels. these are around 4 months old, I am thanking 2 cockerels and one hen but would like some other opinions please.

I am looking for some help in telling weather i have hens or cockerels. these are around 4 months old, I am thanking 2 cockerels and one hen but would like some other opinions please.

I recommend sending the above pics to the breeder. He/she may know the subtle differences of his/her particular line.

I would guess the 1st one is maybe a boy & 2nd one a likely girl.
I personally wouldn't rush the call on #3. My pullet looked like that. Of course my roo had a big pink comb by 4-5 weeks, so he was the only one I could definitely tell the gender. By 12 wks, his comb started getting red, so if you can't tell now, you'll know very, very soon! I also noticed that the males of many large breeds tend to feather slowly. (Males early on = Shorter tails & slower growth of feathers down back & shoulders.)

At 3.5 weeks. #2 on right = male

10 weeks (male on left / female on right)

12 weeks (male on left / female on right)

8 months.

OK so maybe I added this one to show off my big sweet boy...
love.gif

the one in the frist pic was trying to fight with a buff roo today so pretty sure on him the last two I will just have wait and see. These three will follow me around the yard all day there more like little dogs then chickens. Thank you all for the help .

the one in the frist pic was trying to fight with a buff roo today so pretty sure on him the last two I will just have wait and see. These three will follow me around the yard all day there more like little dogs then chickens. Thank you all for the help .

Lol i know what you mean. I had 11 of them under foot all the time. Reminds me of a cat they will rub on my legs. :)

Thats my little roo at 2 months, i haven't taken pictures of him recently, but i will sometime this week.

Back
Top Bottom