Lavender Orpington Thread

My lavender always walks between my legs like a cat. I have set some of her eggs and I am looking forward to the lavenders, until my roo was up to the task, I was setting other eggs. as you see I like the blue look too. I hatched 7 between Sat. and Mon. From other farms, (the yellows are actually Blue splashes) and below is a blue SFH,
ADORABLE!!!!!!! I remember the days! My yellow was a mottled and turned lavender.

love.gif

The chicks are adorable - as usual - but I'm in love with your hen.

I only have one lav orp (Cuddles), & she too is a dream. Getting underfoot must be an orp thing. LOL I have 2 Orps & a Sussex who do the same thing.

My English lav orp is about a year old & has not shown any broodiness.

My bantam English Orp (same age) is a whole different story. At age 6 mo & then at 9 mo, she went broody & we broke her. (Midwest winters are not ideal for chicks!) Now at 11.5 months, we finally gave in & allowed her to keep some eggs.
Two more weeks to go....

I am waiting on a lavender orpington egg to hatch. in the meanwhile I thought I would let you see a pic gray egg that hatched from a lavender frizzle. just to give you ladies something to do, and giving me something to crow about.

Last edited:
Here are a few I got from my orps.
The blacks are blk/lav splits. The lav chicks are actually Lav Orp roo x Coronation Sussex hen.

Then I also tried an EE's egg. The little cheeks & blue-green eggs are just plain fun.

The above chicks were simply an incubator test to work out any glitches before setting the expensive eggs. In 2 weeks my "good" eggs will hatch. Can't Wait!

so cute.

I have one Lavender orpington egg in my incubator because at the time only one egg fit, and it was on day 15 yesterday, I should not have candled, but I did. It was dropped and there is a dent. No bleeding or goo, so I put it back. I guess we will see. I have more hatching on the 13th.

So sorry about the dropped egg. I've never tried to hatch one after it dropped. Hope it works.

My daughter & I LOVE to candle. She likes to make weekly predictions -literally counting the chicks before they hatch. Now we have a system & can candle/ record data in a few min.

On the Lav & Blk/lav split Orp eggs we bought, all look good!!! (Day 9) We couldn't see veins in all due to thick shells, but definitely no clears. One has a detached air cell, but the chick inside was dancing around just fine. We purposely took a road trip to the breeder for an egg pick up. Now I'm so happy we did. Such a huge improvement over shipped eggs.

It has a dent, nothing is oozing and there is still movement. Nail polish won't help this one but on the plus side it only has 5 days to go if it can make it.

Back
Top Bottom