Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

got up specifically to feed Kubota. His comb and wattle are very pale. Let my girls out and fed them at the gate near his kennel, hopefully for some stimulation.

Lori

I found this post yesterday morning and I want to tell you that you are doing a wonderful job and Kubota is very lucky to have you caring for him. I wish there was something that I could do to help out but have not had this experience before. The one thing I would probably do and you may already be doing it but I would put some vitamins in his water. I had my 6 baby BO that had sour crop and the vet said that they were pale in the comb so she suggested vitamins because they were lacking something because of their combs being pale.

I wish you good luck and I am praying for Kubota and also for you to keep doing the good job and for you to have the strength to keep it up.

Thank you for taking good care of him.

I am thinking that the pale comb might be 'stress related' because of the pain... then, I think, maybe he has lice / mites/ worms and it wasn't a problem BEFORE, but might be an important part of the issue now. I would not want to worm a chicken going what he is going through right now, but you could dust him for mites/lice very easily, Without having to actually find any. They are not easy to see even when they are obviously there.
If you took a stool sample to the vet they could see intestinal worms were an issue.

After all this, I hope Mr.B knows that Kabota is now your rooster...

good luck to both of you!

Lori, kudos to you and all you are doing taking care of Kubota!
clap.gif

It took me a while to read through all of this since I am at work, but I had to post. There are not many people who would do what you are doing for an animal that isn't theirs, especially a chicken. Thank heavens that there are people like you still out there!

Quote:
BINGO! After reading this post while Kubota was "air drying" I went to check him over... sure enough he is crawling with mites (teeny tiny little orangish / transparent-ish bugs)! So I will go get something for him this afternoon.

Now... that brings on a whole new question / problem - don't chickens kind of do their own prevention of mites by dustbathing? I think he has enough stump of foot left that, if he makes it that far, Kubota will be able to dustbathe, but what in the meantime?

Quote:
BINGO! After reading this post while Kubota was "air drying" I went to check him over... sure enough he is crawling with mites (teeny tiny little orangish / transparent-ish bugs)! So I will go get something for him this afternoon.

Now... that brings on a whole new question / problem - don't chickens kind of do their own prevention of mites by dustbathing? I think he has enough stump of foot left that, if he makes it that far, Kubota will be able to dustbathe, but what in the meantime?

I use Sevin Dust, 5% to treat my chickens. You have to repeat the treatment again in two weeks. Clean out wherever he has been housed as they will surely be there too. There are lots of threads on the treatment of mites and plenty of other options. Poor guy. He's really been through the ringer this week!

ok sevin is what my dad recommended as well. What about his foot? Fresh wrapping, dust him and leave it for the night? I imagine that stuff would burn like heck in his wounds?
Will be a bit before I can get out to the feedstore....

I didn't reply to some posts earlier, my apologies. I have considered a sling for him, but haven't had the time or ideas to make one. I was thinking of cutting leg holes in a towel and "stringing him up" inside his kennel for 10-15 minutes, with good foot just touching enough he could put weight on it if he wanted. Today while I let him sit out in the sun and peck grass / dirt, flirt with my girls (from a distance, buggy critter) my 110lb Lab lay down next to him (oooh I just thought - will my dog get mites?!?). Anyway, Rio the dog decided he wanted to check out what Kubota was eating and Kubota pecked him on the nose! I would have loved to have had a video going - 'bota pecking him with the most vicious stink eye ever, and poor Rio jumping away like he had been attacked by a T-Rex instead of a sickly chicken. HAHA
When I started getting ready to change his dressings I went to get my hose, and I sprayed over towards Kubota like it was raining - he lit out of there! He was trying to use his stump and kept misjudging/falling forward, but he moved crazy fast. I have gone all fancy in my water therapy for Kubota LOL.... I hang the hose from a latch on teh horse trailer and hold his legs under the running flow of water. While he is chilling, I can use my right hand to get my supplies opened and laid out. I let him preen in the sun before soaking in a warm povadine and water solution and letting him nap a bit (still freaky having him so limp over my arm). When the water wasn't warm anymore, I rinsed his leg and gooped honey on it, then gooped honey on the gauze. For all interested parties - honey may be more effective, but it is also WAY more difficult to handle one handed w/ my left hand (I'm a rightie, and his left leg is the injured one) and not lose the gauze off of my leg via breeze or sticking to the honey spoon. Then the honey I had put on his leg was dripping on his tail feather so I had to clean that.... we both ended up covered in sticky sweetness.

ETA (shocking that I had to edit) - I do put a tiny pinch of electrolyte / vitamin powder in his water. I wonder about vitamin injections? I would feel bad, he is already getting 1 injection a day

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom