Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Thanks... our feedstore is actually across the street at the back of Walmart, so it isn't very far at all
wink.png
, I just needed the "gumption" to get up and go. Looks like I will have to go to walmart in the morning, as the feedstore girl freaked OUT when I told her I needed Sevin for a chicken.

Last edited:
OK, I've been lurking in the background, but the picture of you slathering honey on 'Bota's leg, keeping it from dripping, and trying to bandage it, all while holding him with the other hand is just too much for my mind's eye. You are truly a dedicated chicken person and I bow to you.
bow.gif
bow.gif

I bet your nose started itching, too - mine always does when my hands are full!

Keep up the good work!

Quote:
BINGO! After reading this post while Kubota was "air drying" I went to check him over... sure enough he is crawling with mites (teeny tiny little orangish / transparent-ish bugs)! So I will go get something for him this afternoon.

Now... that brings on a whole new question / problem - don't chickens kind of do their own prevention of mites by dustbathing? I think he has enough stump of foot left that, if he makes it that far, Kubota will be able to dustbathe, but what in the meantime?

Did you try Diamateous Earth _ i probably spelled that wrong -works great for external and internal parasites. If you sprinkle it in the bedding it also helps with the odor. Make sure you get food grade

hehehe if I had seen those mites before I started bandaging I am SURE my nose would have itched.
sickbyc.gif
I can handle blood, guts and amputated chicken feet but don't tell me there are "no see'ums" around or I itch like I have waded through poison ivy!! I have showered a half dozen times today! LOL

There is a clump of flesh that has bothered me during this whole process... you can see it in the front view of the original photos, there is a piece of tendon or bone or something stringing out of it... anyway, it looks nasty. Not infected, just gross - as in brown and dead looking. This evening during "hydro-therapy" (
lol.png
) I noticed a piece of it loose. I didn't pull on it or anything, but it reminded me of when my Grandad had a calf with a growth on it's rear. The vet did something to that growth and it died... that is what this clump of flesh looks like now. I am hoping it is dead and falling off, not dead and rotting or killing the rest of the leg.

FUN note in regards to Kubota: I bought some crickets at the bait store while I was out. He has gone nuts! At the feed store I bought this nutrient/ mineral / vitamin...something!... called "Kickin' Chicken" - it is a supplement of sorts (ad says: Give your flock a treat! Kickin' Chicken is a supplement you add right to their feed to provide extra Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, plus Vitamin E." ). Anyway, you only give them just a little bit, so I dunked his crickets in it. Then, I was concerned about if he has taken in enough grit, so I dunked the crickets in the supplement (very oily!) and then in chick grit taht I also bought. So it was a crunchy live menu tonight!

I am considering opening a gourmet chicken treat shop. I'll put it downtown next to the bakery for dogs.
big_smile.png

ETA: Jaimslee we were typign at the same time
wink.png
- I have heard of DE. I think his infestation is so bad I need to go straight for the big guns though. I considered trying to get a photo - you seriously cannot move feathers on his back without finding mites

now I have to go shower again.... *shiver*

Last edited:
Quote:
BINGO! After reading this post while Kubota was "air drying" I went to check him over... sure enough he is crawling with mites (teeny tiny little orangish / transparent-ish bugs)! So I will go get something for him this afternoon.

Now... that brings on a whole new question / problem - don't chickens kind of do their own prevention of mites by dustbathing? I think he has enough stump of foot left that, if he makes it that far, Kubota will be able to dustbathe, but what in the meantime?

Did you try Diamateous Earth _ i probably spelled that wrong -works great for external and internal parasites. If you sprinkle it in the bedding it also helps with the odor. Make sure you get food grade

From all I've read about diatomaceous earth, it doesn't work when it is wet, so it's only effective on external parasites. And it won't cure a mite problem once there is an infestation, it's a preventative.

You are correct about DE ADozenGirlz. The infestation needs sevin dust. Poultry nutri drench is loaded with minerals and vitamins and can be given directly given 1 or 2 drops orally or mixed in the roos water for a few days. I wouldnt give it to him more that 3 days in a row, it can cause diarrhea. The only vitamin that nutri drench doesnt contain are the 'B' vitamins.'Kickin chicken' is good too.

Last edited:
Avian lice do not like mammals! Aren't we lucky!? Your dog will be okay visiting.
We use the Peregrines -WHAT!! geesh, sometimes spell check is worse than spelling badly!! PYRETHERINS -for animals and garden. If it is safe enough for my food, I figure it can't hurt my girls. It is from the African daisy looking flower of pyretherin.
And it does not sting. I know because I forgot about an open wound on my hand while we were dusting Thursday.
When you sling him, think about him trying to fly. That might need to be addressed. Someone on here posted pictures of their slings and chickens-cetwain? not sure. Do a search and see what you can find.
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Just wanted to check in and say hi and great job with Kubota. I am so happy you are taking such good care of him. Good luck to you both.

good grief! This bird is bound and determined to take over my entire day!!
roll.png

I bandaged him up for the night earlier (at cricket time). I fed him - plate with yogurt, cottage cheese, 2 kinds of canned cat food, blue berries, ham (yes I know it is crazy sodium etc, but he eats it like a chowhound), egg and sprinkles of dirt / grit. He'd had about 7 crickets, some dunked in supplement and grit/dirt.
So what do I find when I go to "tuck him in" (make sure he is on his towel and close the trailer door most of the way to keep the dog- (steals my supplies) and light out, but let fresh air in)??? The crazy bird had reached through the kennel wire and pulled a bandage in... and tried to eat it!! I had to very slowly, very carefully pull about 2-3 inches (or more?) out of his throat!!! Geesh... so even though I was freshlly showered and it is insanely hot, I had to clean all around the kennel and make sure he couldn't reach anything to get in trouble! I gave him some fresh water, he had a good drink and I put his 1 legged butt to bed!

ooooh I sure feel like those avian lice like me!! I itch just walking past him
lol.png
roll.png

ETA: by the way, did I mention that I just spent the biggest part of my birthday with a 1-legged, bug infested, bandage eating rooster? And that it was teh best part? LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom