Layer feed for Roosters

Jan 25, 2023
I've got 10 australorps and 2 roosters among them. They are about week 15 right now. They have had nutrena chick starter up to now and been allowed to free range once I get home as well as they have an electrified fence I can move around so they always have stuff to eat outside. They hardly eat any chick starter right now, it lasts like 2 weeks, due to foraging in an acre of bugs, weeds, and berries.

Do you think it would be fine to give the roosters layer feed since they hardly eat much of it and prefer the taste of fresh bugs? The all flock stuff costs about double and its not even organic.

I've got grit and oyster shells on the side along with a gravel driveway they are slowly eating.

I got them the: https://www.ruralking.com/country-road-layer-crumbles-feed-50lb-2492

They hate the dust from the chick starter and typically just want to eat the solid pieces so I got the crumbles but is the pellets any better?

"Not available in my store, ship to store."

Thanks! Yeah they didn't have those options where I live so I just didn't see them. I'll have to have them shipped to the store.
Yeah. Layer feed is suboptimal for Roos/non-layers. Idk about rural king, but tsc and Blaine’s farm and fleet (in my area) don’t charge to ship to store. Hope it’s the same for you!

Your roosters are much less likely to suffer any ill effect from eating a layer type feed.
The hens are more likely to suffer by not eating a layer type feed.

Back
Top Bottom