Layer feed

MUST I feed layer feed to my hens in order for them to layer or can I feed a high protein feed and they will lay anyway.
You can feed them a higher protein content feed.
What is the protein content of the feed you're giving now?
If your hens are laying and they are production breeds, Red Sex Links for example or even some of the higher egg production heritage breeds that are kept confined, there may be some benefit for feeding an 18% protein feed if your currrent feed has below that protein content.
With high production confined hens, one does have to bear in mind they require a lot of calcium in the feed, If leaving calcium carbonate in some form seperate from their normal feed is impractical, you should be looking at 4% to 6% in their feed.

You don't need a layer feed. I've never used layer feed and never will, I don't like that it forces the chickens to eat a flat rate of calcium year round, when their needs vary with the seasons and throughout their lives. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein and no added calcium, and the chickens always have crushed eggshell on the side to eat from as needed. I don't have problems with feather eating, feather quality, or thin shells. This also makes it easier when I have chicks, males, and non-laying hens - everybody eats the same and I don't have to worry about different types of feed.

oh sorry, thought you free ranged because it says free ranging under your name. Thank you for letting me know how you feed your flock. Thx.

Lol! I just noticed it says Songster under my name! lol.
I free range. and like most posters here, for kmost BYCers, in most situations, I recommend an "All Flock"-type feed for all your birds, of all ages and genders, all the time. With free choice fresh clean water, free choice grit*, free choice oyster shell** available at all times.

*there are conditions where grit isn't needed, but its dirt cheap and lasts forever. Cheap insurance.

**baby chicks don't need oyster shell, but by the time you are integrating them with the rest of the flock, having it available (because its available to your adults) won't hurt. They won't need it, yet, even the hens, but it won't hurt.

**baby chicks don't need oyster shell, but by the time you are integrating them with the rest of the flock, having it available (because its available to your adults) won't hurt. They won't need it, yet, even the hens, but it won't hurt.
I have chicks with the flock almost every year, raised by a broody and living amongst the others, and the presence of eggshells or oyster shells isn’t a problem at all. They pay no attention to it. The hen is very good at showing them what to eat and what not to eat. Just saying this for people who are new, not to worry if their chicks are with the flock and have access to shells. They’ll know when they need them.

I have chicks with the flock almost every year, raised by a broody and living amongst the others, and the presence of eggshells or oyster shells isn’t a problem at all. They pay no attention to it. The hen is very good at showing them what to eat and what not to eat. Just saying this for people who are new, not to worry if their chicks are with the flock and have access to shells. They’ll know when they need them.
Agree, its not a problem, they just don't need it. Apologies if my post suggested otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom