Layer feed

BirdNerd101

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Is 18% feed good enough for layer feed without offering oyster shell? My feed store sells 21% feed but its called starter not layer.
Would that work? Thanks

Is 18% feed good enough for layer feed without offering oyster shell? My feed store sells 21% feed but its called starter not layer.
Would that work? Thanks

I, personally, prefer to offer oyster shell even when feeding a layer ration (which I no longer use, preferring to feed a grower ration and providing calcium in other ways). That being said, I'm not sure I am understanding just what you are questioning as you seem to be focused on two different nutrients here- the % is protein, but the nutrient that is present in "layer" ration vs starter or grower and that you get by using oyster shell is calcium. The idea of a feed labeled as layer ration is that it *should* eliminate the need for supplemental calcium.
18% is sufficient protein content, yes, and likely the most you will find in a layer ration.

Last edited:
I would offer it 24/7 to the other ducks, but just for a while to my limping hen. My concern is leaving the bowl down.. I dont want her to trip on it am hurt her leg farther. She was tripping on her feed bowl often. I will pick up some oyster shell later this week and start offering it.

Back
Top Bottom