Layer feed.?

Thank you everyone for helping me with this question
1f60a.png
my chickies and I appreciate it

Ohh probably 3 months? They eat it like it is going to be their last meal. I usually use Friskies/Fancy Feast or whatever is on sale at Walmart other than the Twin Pet/Special Kitty. 

Oh okay :3 I am trying to think of snacks and stuff to feed my chickens as they get older. I also have another question, when you first let chicks out to sleep in the coop/run will they sleep in the run for a couple nights because they are confused.?

Oh okay :3 I am trying to think of snacks and stuff to feed my chickens as they get older. I also have another question, when you first let chicks out to sleep in the coop/run will they sleep in the run for a couple nights because they are confused.?
My coupe is a massive 10x15 shed with a 1x1 hole cut into it attached to that is a 10x10 pen.
My chickens have access inside and outside 24/7 during the day we let them out into the yard.
But when "in their coupe" they still can go inside outside.
The indoor portion of the coupe has A/C and heating so my brooding cage is in there. I do not use a box, I use an old rabbit cage.

When I let them out with the big chickens for the first time I simply open their cage door and tie it open so if they need to they can get away from the big chickens or get under the brood lamp if they get cold.
Usually within a week or so they venture out of the indoor part of the coupe and investigate the outside part.

And within 2-3 weeks we let them out into the yard.

I have very spoiled chickens

Last edited:
My coupe is a massive 10x15 shed with a 1x1 hole cut into it attached to that is a 10x10 pen.
My chickens have access inside and outside 24/7 during the day we let them out into the yard.
But when "in their coupe" they still can go inside outside.
 The indoor portion of the coupe has A/C and heating so my brooding cage is in there. I do not use a box, I use an old rabbit cage. 

When I let them out with the big chickens for the first time I simply open their cage door and tie it open so if they need to they can get away from the big chickens or get under the brood lamp if they get cold.
 Usually within a week or so they venture out of the indoor part of the coupe and investigate the outside part.

And within 2-3 weeks we let them out into the yard.

I have very spoiled chickens

My chicks live inside with me in an old guinea pig cage. Every morning around 8 I take them out and I bring them in when it gets dark. They wait outside by the run door for me so I was starting to get worried when they actually live in there and sleep outside they will wait outside by the door for me :( I don't really have predators in my area I am worried about I just feel bad if they sleep outside the coop because they are expecting me

Please don't I have been told that it is best to wait until they lay their first egg(its best) If you give them layer to early it will kill them. Hope this helps.

Please don't I have been told that it is best to wait until they lay their first egg(its best) If you give them layer to early it will kill them. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your concern :) I now know that I can not get layer feed, i will just get the bag of grower even if it is 50 pounds for two chickens.! It won't hurt my chickens to be on starter feed still while laying eggs will it.?

Quote:
No. It will not. When they start laying, just offer oyster shell on the side, free choice. People who keep roosters feed grower or "all flock" and never go to layer at all.

ETA: You might want to think about getting one more chick while they're still young enough for an easy integration. Two is a hard number because if one dies, then you have a lone chicken and they don't do well by themselves.

Last edited:
No. It will not. When they start laying, just offer oyster shell on the side, free choice. People who keep roosters feed grower or "all flock" and never go to layer at all.

ETA: You might want to think about getting one more chick while they're still young enough for an easy integration. Two is a hard number because if one dies, then you have a lone chicken and they don't do well by themselves.

Oh okay, maybe I will pick one up when I go buy their starter feed but do you think I can keep three chickens in this run.?
the run is maybe six feet by two and half feet.
Also if I get another chick I will have to brood her separately because my girls are ready to move out this week.! If I get one at about three weeks can I just put her in there with the other girls.? I live in California and it has been in the high 80's

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom