MaryKateandThomas

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2018
Hello,
We have three types of chickens: Ameracauanas, Cochins and Wyandottes. We are getting eggs only from 2-3 of the chickens so far. We're sure it's at least two because we have green eggs and brown eggs, and we think we know which 3 chickens are laying. Anyway, the questions here are:

1. We first made the mistake of starting layer feed based on age, close to winter. They never started laying at anticipated ages. So, we went back to grower feed, and a couple started laying. Now that a few are laying, should we do anything regarding layer feed? They are doing fine laying, the ones that are. Or just keep on grower feed until they are all laying?

2. We have a special needs chicken in a separate coop/run. She may never lay eggs, says the Vet-should we just keep her on Grower just in case and switch to layer if she ever does? They think she may have missed the vaccines or something and has neurological issues where she is small, and looks drunk with the way she walks. She is stumbly and slow, but sweet and adorable. A Wyandotte. Ironically our other wyandotte is the top of the pecking order, and tries to peck her to death, hence why she's separated.

3. Our Ameracaunas are laying green (sort of olive green) eggs. Do you think this might be an olive egger or just the color they have?

*Note: We also feed them only organic feed, and organic table scraps, but of course we know they eat some plants and bugs.

Thanks!
MaryKate and Thomas

I now feed grower to all, year round. Make sure you are offering calcium on the side so those that need it can get what they want.

I think it is fine to switch to layer feed for those who will lay and those that are. I also think it is fine to stay on grower a little longer till all are and for one who may never. Supply poultry grit and OS on the side.

I think it is fine to switch to layer feed for those who will lay and those that are. I also think it is fine to stay on grower a little longer till all are and for one who may never. Supply poultry grit and OS on the side.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom