layers sleeping in laying boxes

firem3

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2007
Odenville Alabama
I have five laying hens that came from a relative. they were totally free range chickens. I have put them in a pen and have them laying eggs however they want to sleep in the laying box. I provide them a nice place to sleep, how do i keep them out of the laying box at night short of blocking it so they cant get in it?

yes I do have roost's they are starting from about 2' off the ground to about 5' high in a staggered ladder design so they can jump from one to the other. the highest is around 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the box.

Mine do the same thing, too, and I've just learned to live with it.
barnie.gif
Sort of. I can't say I love cleaning out poopy nests.

My hens grew out of sleeping in the nests once they started laying. Hopefully yours will too if they have roosts to perch on. Good luck.

Yep, not only is it a pain to clean out the nest boxes, you also have a good chance of soiled eggs instead of nice clean ones, which is much nicer.
I would either block them off at night for a couple weeks or physically take the birds and place them on the roosts at dark until they get the idea. Good Luck...

bigzio

I've never had a problem with nesting boxes, but I do have some that still insist on sleeping on the ground like chicks. It's kind of weird, because they'll instinctively roost once they reach a certain age. My Jersey roo is almost two, and he sleeps on the ground under the roost by the hens.
hu.gif

The only time I can't get mine out the nesting boxes is when they're broody and won't take the hint they're not on any eggs.
barnie.gif

Mine do it all the time no detering them its not like they dont have ample space to roost because I sure gave them plenty I have learned to deal with it they have been doing it for years. I just make sure I use straw in thier nest makes the cleaning a lot more easier.

Back
Top Bottom