Laying Frequency in the Beginning.

ejcrist

Songster
Oct 16, 2015
Desert Hills, AZ
I have a couple of Leghorns and two of which just started laying. The first bird laid the first egg last Friday and has been laying every day since. The second bird first laid an egg Monday afternoon. I expected to find two eggs yesterday (Tuesday) but only found one egg from the first laying bird - I know this because they use two different nest boxes and I read they'll always use their favorite. Anyway my question: once they start laying do you get an egg pretty much everyday or is it normal for a pullet to lay and egg on day one and nothing on day two. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but #2 laid her first egg Monday between about 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to have a pullet lay one egg and then decide layin' ain't her cup-o-tea.

New layers will often lay in fits and starts as their systems get up and running and get all the moving parts working in the right order. As to the nest box issue - that is not really true. While birds will often have a favorite nest, it is not set in stone that *that* nest is where the bird will always lay - and the specific nest that they favor can also change.

Many breeds of hens don't lay daily, or consistently, so egg production will go up and down throughout the season. Leghorns should give you 5-7 eggs a week once they become regular, but every hen is different.

Thanks for the info everyone - that's good to know. I'll tell ya though, opening that nest box cover and seeing eggs is one of the true pleasures in life, kinda like catching a fish on the end of a line - I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

I find it's like a treasure hunt, even after 20 years of chicken keeping it brings me daily joy. My husband gets yelled at if he collects them, I also like getting the mail.

I agree it is fun to find an egg everyday. I have spent probably 300 dollars getting my two chickens set up and so far I have received 6 eggs. But the enjoyment is priceless. My hens won't lay in the nests that I have prepared out of a plastic pan as recommended on here somewhere and they are filled with wood flakes. They lay on the removable tray that is underneath the roost. Do I need to use something different?
Thanks,
Jane

They might be looking for something more solid to lay in. Otherwise it can help to use ceramic eggs to show them a safe place to lay.

I agree it is fun to find an egg everyday. I have spent probably 300 dollars getting my two chickens set up and so far I have received 6 eggs. But the enjoyment is priceless. My hens won't lay in the nests that I have prepared out of a plastic pan as recommended on here somewhere and they are filled with wood flakes. They lay on the removable tray that is underneath the roost. Do I need to use something different?
Thanks,
Jane

You spent a whole $300? Gosh you got over for cheap. You don't even want to know how much I spent - it's obscene. The worst part is I'm in the process of building a permanent broiler pen now and planning another coop/run to have finished by fall. I think I could've probably put my son through college for less. But I totally agree - finding eggs is extremely priceless. My wife and I go out everyday to check together like two little kids on an Easter egg hunt. We're both over 50 but the chickens have really brought the kid out of us both. I never imagined I'd have so much fun raising birds.

Back
Top Bottom