Laying Hen with Diarrhea

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Red Production / 18 months / feels thinner

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Poopy butt, occasional open mouth breathing, standing, not wanting to move or lie down, yellow/white diarrhea

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Diarrhea maybe 4 days, other symptoms started yesterday evening and today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I have 12 week old chicks. 2 of them had blood in their stool and started Corid

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Maybe drinking a little water with electrolytes and chick feed

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Yellow/white runny. See pics below

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
See previous answers
Her lower abdomen, in front of her legs, feels like it MAY have some fluid. She was laying every day until last week. After she stopped laying she would still go to the nesting box. She does not have labored breathing all the time. She will not lie down or move, I think she is uncomfortable. She just stares like she in outer space.

2FA7AE71-0840-404D-959F-FB96BAB39707.jpeg
59292FBF-9B48-48D1-BB34-23C7574960A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Does she stand in one spot with her tail held low and flat? After she laid her last egg, has she spent long periods in the nest box? When was the last time, and how long did she stay there? Have you felt under her vent to see if you feel and egg there? What does her vent look like as compared to the other hens?

I suspect egg laying issues since she abruptly stopped laying and spent "dry" spells in the nest box. You might try some warm soaks and calcium citrate. Keep her warm and quiet in a dimly lit place, maybe with a heating pad on the low setting under her. Smooth some coconut oil on her vent and just inside to lubricate it.

There's also a chance she might have coccidiosis if you believe the younger ones have it. It wouldn't hurt to give her the Corid water, too.

I second Azygous recommendation. May be a laying issue. About the only thing I'd try in this instance would be heavy doses of calcium. If that does not have an effect on her, my recommendation would be to cull, since laying issues are usually of a repeat nature. Depends on whether your hen is a pet of livestock. If a pet, and you don't mind dropping a $100++ dollar bill, you could see a vet.

@casportpony it feels like ascites. I have nothing to compare it to because I rehomed her 3 sisters for ganging up on her during the summer. Now I have started over with bantams.

We had a warm soak
F0781965-0F8E-43FE-860D-BB51FA1CCE6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom