Laying hen won’t stay with flock

Celcampbell23

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Davidson, North Carolina
I have a hen that’s about 9 months old. She is very flighty but normally stays with the flock. My flock of 6 is down to 4 (3 hens 1 roo) as of a couple weeks ago thanks to some huskies that got 2 of my other hens. So she is now at the bottom of the flock.

She is walking around the yard squawking at times (something similar to an intruder but there is nothing I can find and she is the only one giving any alarm). She seems uncomfortable and has gone in and out of the egg boxes multiple times. I have a mini coop where she sometimes lays and she keeps going in and out of that as well.

The rooster is very concerned with her and is following her around as opposed to the other hens she doesn’t seem to mind but keeps going off on her own while he seems to be trying to guide her to the flock. I’ve never had a chicken act like this before so it’s just odd. I know sick chickens often go off alone but is it possible she could be egg bound or something like that and acting similarly?

One of my hens was like that until her sister died. Now she stays with the flock. I wonder why yours is the opposite. If she seems stressed try giving her calcium citrate for a few days, it has magnesium which is soothing for the nervous system. You could also give her an Epsom salt bath.

One of my hens was like that until her sister died. Now she stays with the flock. I wonder why yours is the opposite. If she seems stressed try giving her calcium citrate for a few days, it has magnesium which is soothing for the nervous system. You could also give her an Epsom salt bath.
So interesting their personalities. The hen we lost a few weeks ago was her right hand mate. They had been together since birth. Even slept together on top of the coop for about a week at one point until I figured out how to get them inside. She’s very mild and easily picked on. I almost feel like she’s just having trouble adjusting. Is that a thing?

My other two hens are 2 of my original chicks that have been with me and together their whole lives and they can be a bit sassy. Our rooster is also fairly young and hasn’t been with us too awful long. He’s not overly aggressive at all but I’m wondering if they’re just buddy-ing up since they’re now the bottom of the rung. Chickens 🤷🏼‍♀️

My hen used to do that I was frustrated on what was happening there was times were she would stay with the flock but then she didn't want to be around the flock and she kept running away from the flock like if she wanted to be left alone. When it was time to put the flock inside she wouldn't want to go in the coop when i grabbed her and put her in she would act calm but she wouldn't sleep with the others she would not preach on the chicken pole i put in the coop instead she would sleep on the ground or on top of the chicken house i put in the coop .But please keep us updated!!

Last edited:
Thank you all so much!!! Quick update. I went to check on her and found her and my rooster together in the back of the tool shed (very uncommon). The poor hen laid her egg on the floor of the shed. After that they both jumped back in with the flock and everything was fine.

I came to the conclusion the poor thing had just been trying to lay an egg and the roo wouldn’t give her enough space. I think the noises she was making must have been to get him to go away but it did the opposite lol. At least now I know and can help her keep him away next time. Happy it wasn’t anything more serious. Thanks again!

Thank you all so much!!! Quick update. I went to check on her and found her and my rooster together in the back of the tool shed (very uncommon). The poor hen laid her egg on the floor of the shed. After that they both jumped back in with the flock and everything was fine.

I came to the conclusion the poor thing had just been trying to lay an egg and the roo wouldn’t give her enough space. I think the noises she was making must have been to get him to go away but it did the opposite lol. At least now I know and can help her keep him away next time. Happy it wasn’t anything more serious. Thanks again!
Crazy birds! Love them!

Back
Top Bottom