Laying in the same box?

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
We just started receiving eggs on Monday, Labor Day. How appropriate.
celebrate.gif
My question is, this morning when I went to let the girls out there were 2 in the same nesting box along with 2 eggs. Is this going to be a problem in the future. 2 birds laying in the same nest? Or will they figure it out on their own??? We've also received 1 egg in the afternoon also in that same nesting box. What should I do if anything? Thank you as always for all your support.
frow.gif

If they are laying and not sleeping in a nest box, you and your chickens are doing just fine. Let them work it out.

No matter how many nest boxes you offer, they'll all want the same one and either fuss loudly when someone else is in there when they want to lay or they will play the equivalent of "how many people can you stuff in a phone booth". Hens.
roll.png

They are doing fine. Some of the time they all decide to use the same box even if they have 6 to choose from! It isn't a problem at all. I am up to getting 4 eggs a day(6 left to start!) and today 3 were in one box, and 1 was in another. Silly chickens...

Yep, just let them do their thing....I had 5 eggs in one box late this morning and 2 in another. That's from 8 hens mind you!!! Man, I hate to think what my cholesterol will be next time I get it checked....egg and sausage burritos, scrambled, french toast, give some to the kids and I still have eggs!!!!
woot.gif

Well-I believe the standard is 1 box for every 4 chickens. But chickens don't know that. They can't read.....
tongue.png

The maximum number of hens I've had in one box at the same time is three. Two hens with their bottoms actually touching the hay, one sitting on top of the other two.
roll.png
Three perfect eggs, unbroken.
The maximum number of eggs I've found in one box in a day is thirteen. None broken. There must have been something magical about that box that day.

Back
Top Bottom