Lazy Muscovies?

HomesteadHeart

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2017
At the risk of offending Muscovy Ducks everywhere, I'm hoping for some insight. We just got 4 ducks a week ago, a drake a couple days later, and I've never seen such lazy behavior from any bird... LOL!

We had a new cattle panel hoop coop ready for them, kept them penned in it to bond them to it for a few days, had Mr. Muscovy in his cage inside with them (as advised) for a couple days to play it safe, let him out and they were all happy as can be.

They seem to all be a picture of perfect health, but so far no signs of the foraging, bug eating machines I have read so much about (top features that attracted us to them). They hardly go more than ten feet from the coop, if not sitting inside constantly. We have a stock tank and large rubber pan for water and an area with beautiful forage, both tree coverage and sun. There are no other animals that could make them feel threatened. Our dogs are totally peaceful toward birds, but we are even keeping them in a separate fenced area just to make it extra comfy for them. So, at this point they have about a half acre of their own area, and as I said, full of goodies. We had 6 laying hens before, that we sold to get the Muscovies, and they loved foraging all day. I was expecting the ducks to put them to shame. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

They're all about 1.5 yr olds. I guess I just figured they would be far less "chicken" than our chickens. I've never read anything about them being fearful. Everything I've seen makes them sound like superducks haha.

@chickens really Do you have Muscovies? Any further specific tips?

They're all about 1.5 yr olds. I guess I just figured they would be far less "chicken" than our chickens. I've never read anything about them being fearful. Everything I've seen makes them sound like superducks haha.

@chickens really Do you have Muscovies? Any further specific tips?
No...No Muscovy. A Duck is a Duck really.

Give them a few weeks to settle in, and they should start ranging more. They are probably just nervous about their surroundings. Maybe you could spread some food and water out 30' ft or so around the coop to get them out further. Is the grass really long? If so, it maybe hard for them ( or they are too leery) to walk through it.

I have 7 week old muscovies. I just put them out in their run. They are still acting like a collective one. I know when I took them from their brooder to be outdoors they pretty much just sat in the pen. I was like - at least walk around the grass! :D
Wow, so strange. I had no idea they would ever have this "home body" behavior, but I guess it's not unique to mine. All I've ever heard / read is how you have to take measures to prevent them from going TOO far. Our chickens would run you down from any distance, any time they saw you, assuming you had food and couldn't wait to shoot out of the tractor like a cannon every morning to go everywhere eating everything.

We're also planning to purchase some from Freedom Ranger, so by the time they get to processing size, we'll see who gets to stay for breeding. My husband named the drake Phil D. Freezer. Hopefully he'll live up to his name:lol:

Give them a few weeks to settle in, and they should start ranging more. They are probably just nervous about their surroundings. Maybe you could spread some food and water out 30' ft or so around the coop to get them out further. Is the grass really long? If so, it maybe hard for them ( or they are too leery) to walk through it.
I did think of tossing food out further, and I moved the water tank a little further, so we'll see. No problem with tall grass. It's mostly a lot of white clover (low growing) that we sowed and a bunch of tasting wild stuff they like from what I've read ie. smart weed, plantain, dock etc.

Wow, so strange. I had no idea they would ever have this "home body" behavior, but I guess it's not unique to mine. All I've ever heard / read is how you have to take measures to prevent them from going TOO far. Our chickens would run you down from any distance, any time they saw you, assuming you had food and couldn't wait to shoot out of the tractor like a cannon every morning to go everywhere eating everything.

We're also planning to purchase some from Freedom Ranger, so by the time they get to processing size, we'll see who gets to stay for breeding. My husband named the drake Phil D. Freezer. Hopefully he'll live up to his name:lol:
Ha. Mine aren't for eating. Well as long as the drake behaves himself. He thinks he's boss at this young of age!
I have chickens too. If I had let them out when I first got them, They would have been gone and probably never came back. I got them when they were 1 and 2 yrs old in Oct.

Back
Top Bottom