Lazy or sick chicken?

LaneyNZ

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Hey all,

So, I have 3 Brown Shavers, all 2 years old. One of my girls (Bonnie) has recently started acting a bit miserable and will find a spot in the garden, plop herself down there and lie there from morning until night, often sleeping and looking miserable. She will get up and slowly walk to get something to eat and drink, lay and egg and then go back and flop down and sleep again for hours on end by herself. She doesn't budge or cause a fuss if I pick her up (usually she will flap you to death!). She doesn't forage around the garden anymore, and doesn't come running for treats when I go outside. She doesn't hang out with the other two girls much anymore either so sits by herself all the time, so they often come to join her when they want a rest. She's been like this for about a month now.

I took her to the vets at the weekend who did a number of tests on her. He said she's very alert, her comb is nice and red and healthy, she hasn't lost any weight, has good muscle mass, no signs of any internal or external parasites, she's not egg bound and is laying every day, no signs of any wounds, and everything feels perfectly normal. The vet only found an imbalance of bacteria in her poop which was nothing too serious, but gave her some antibiotics anyway as there was a little bit of blood in the poop (it's not cocci). But otherwise, can't find anything else wrong with her. Half way into the antibiotic course and there's been no change with her. I found her lying on the pavement outside our ranch slider door this morning on her own looking sadly in the window at me.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with their chooks and have any idea what could be possibly wrong with her? :(

I would give her some amprolium in her water and worm her.

Do you hear any wheezing, sneezing, or see drippy beaks, bubbly eyes?

Are her poops still bloody? She could also have cancer. Do you feel any masses in her abdomen that shouldn't be there if you press gently?

MrsB

Chooks were all wormed 2 weeks ago, so they are all clear. There was no signs of any worms or eggs from her poop test. No detectable masses anywhere, the vet gave her a thorough check for any physical signs of anything. The vet thinks the tiny bit of blood in her poop was just normal intestinal shed lining. No wheezing, or sneezing, coughing or anything other physical signs of being sick. Unless there is internal tumors that the vet couldn't feel from outside (or from the internal exam up her bottom)... I will talk to him about that more when I take her in for a fresh poop test.

She doesn't appear to be sick at all.... just extremely lazy and sad looking. Her tail is still perked up, she's very alert, she's getting up to eat and get some water, she's taking dirt baths and preening her feathers, and that's the extent to her daily activities. She spends the rest of the day lying down. I've been taking her inside to give her her antibiotics (I've had to crush them up and mash them into some food for her) and she happily eats the food while I sit with her and she responds to my voice with her little chicky chirping.

I would hate to even think I could lose her. She is such a beautiful bird. :(

A great mystery, indeed!

(Edit: I asked when the last time she laid an egg was, and scrolled back up to see she does that on the reg... so nevermind with that train of thought.)

I've just never heard of a lazy chicken before. :/

MrsB

Last edited:
She laid an egg yesterday... and most likely will lay this morning too.

Very strange indeed. She was in great form this morning when I had her inside giving her her antibiotics. Chirping away at me and gobbling down her medicated laced food. As soon as I put her back outside, she found herself a pre-dug hole and plopped herself down there. She was lying down in there an hour later when I was leaving for work.

Maybe she has just become lazy :\

It sounds like she just waits for you to pick her up and feed her!! :)

Spoiled chicken!

Just keep an eye out... If you see her go off food and water, you'll know something is up.

MrsB

Thanks MrsB. I will keep a close eye on her :)

And yup... they are all absolutely spoiled rotten! Haha!

Is she broody? Does she set in the same place in the yard every day? Where does she lay her egg? Try not collecting the egg for a few days, and see if she goes to setting on them.

Is she broody? Does she set in the same place in the yard every day? Where does she lay her egg? Try not collecting the egg for a few days, and see if she goes to setting on them.

That's a very good point! She *could* be broody.... but if she's broody, she would stop laying eggs, also.

Curious-er and curious-er!

MrsB

Not necessarily if her eggs are being collected every day, and she's trying to put a clutch together. My Black Copper Marans pullet was acting just about as broody as could be while she was still laying. I finally had to pen her up. Took her just ibder a week to get over it. But then, she was making it very obvious (puffing up, and talking that talk). If you're hen is not acting broody, just leave her be and let some eggs build up in the nest box, and see what happens.
You sure she is not being bullied? Hens are not "lazy", as such, but they can be just poor foragers. Some breeds are not known to be good foragers. They do better in confinement.
Yeah, it is curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom