Least Favorite Part about Coop Management?

We love our girls, but its not easy. What is your least favorite part about managing your coop?

• The Chore - daily feeding, watering, etc.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The Cleanup - smelly, messy, poop, feathers, etc.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • The Traveling - finding someone to care for your chickens when you are away

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • The Pests - mice, rats, snakes getting in the coop

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • The Predators - foxes, raccoons, skunks, etc.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The Cost - expensive food, supplies, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I honestly don't have a "worst part" as I like what we do here. ☺️

Horse pellet bedding in the coop means we don't clean the floor but once a year and the poop boards once a week with a trowel and giant dust pan. That takes 60 seconds.

The predators are kept away by our two dogs, two cats, and lots of solar motion lights. We don't have mice as we have cats.

We hatch and sell silkie chicks so that sort of offsets the feed.
I don't have an odor or moisture problem since switching to pellets.They're amazing!

I don't have an odor or moisture problem since switching to pellets.They're amazing!
They are game-changers!! 7 years of them has been awesome! If only everyone knew what we did. ☺️

Last summer I started using them in the brooder. After 1 week of paper towels, in come the pellets lol. I have to stir theirs though. 2-2-24.jpeg

hardest part is definitely losing them, be it to predators, illness, or something unpreventable.

i also voted for cost, but that’s really bc we also have other animals and i‘m still a student (currently unemployed). i’m very grateful my family is willing to let me keep them! ☺️

It depends on what you dislike. Cleaning up messes doesn't bother me much, but it might bother someone else more.

I would agree with others that the hardest part is death. But you shouldn't be thinking about that. Just enjoy your flock without worrying. :)

Do the chicks eat the pellet dust/pellet breakdown to sawdust ??
In the coop, no, or if they do they try it once and never again but scratch through it so thus, no maintenance.

In the brooder, of course they do, just like with pine chips. The pellets don't turn to sawdust there though as they don't poop enough and I use a nipple waterer and clean up any drips. I provide grit for the ones that just had to find a small piece and eat it though. ☺️ It's so awesome no smell!

Back
Top Bottom