Leaving Chickens Alone

I can tell you that you are taking a REAL chance leaving them alone for that long if you do not have someone checking your feed and water.

Water gets spilled!
sad.png

They run out of feed!
sad.png

There is really no one that could come by and check on them?

I personally wouldn't do it. Murphy's Law knows when to kick in and it's when there's no one looking! But that's just me. Others have left their birds alone for awhile and things worked out. But if anybody gets sick or gets stuck on something or whatever, 7 days is a long time to wait for help.

You have a lot of time before your trip. What about someone who works at a vet's office or who is a responsible 4-H leader/member or a critter sitter service that is willing to be flexible about type of critter (!)? I rarely go away because it's just too complicated with the birds but am going to try this year to 'train' a cat sitter person who seems very nice. She seems willing to expand her repertoire......

JJ

Also, it's not mentioned where you're located but especially during hot times of the year water should be changed frequently (bits of food can get in there from their beaks and attract bacteria). I change the water twice daily - perhaps more than most - but once a day would not be overdoing it......
JJ

Its good you are thinking about it now. You cannot leave them alone that long without potentially disastrous results. I feel bad if I don't have someone come twice a day when I'm gone. They will probably survive a once a day care person though, if you train them well. I agree with JJ - all those sources are good potential helpers. Or a house sitter? Please please please start working on this now!

Chickens aren't such a big deal to look after,* and it's summer vacation... would a neighbor kid be willing to help out?

*Maybe just for me, the girl with the huge zoo... my chickens are my easiest critters!

really, chickens are no harder to take care of then a cat... so if someone was willing to water and feed then at least once as day you'll know they're never going too long without someone checking in on them. My friend's away and she lets her chickens be so I check them once a day and collect the eggs... so far nothing has happened... but there is always a chance

Thank you for your quick responses!!! But yikes, I think it best I call my sister and tell her we can't be in her wedding. I don't live in the United States and frankly I don't know my neighbors. I just made 2 automatic feeders that can't be tipped and food can't be scratched out. Plus I have a waterer with a nipple. But your responses sound like I should skip it because anything can happen. Oh well. Thank You again!!!

Back
Top Bottom