Leaving the Chicks unattended

Cirrus12

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
There's a local feed store that's going to be having a chick day in a couple of weeks. My plan was to get 4-6 that I'd use to start my backyard flock. They'll be about a week old on chick day. I was all set to get them until I looked at my calendar. The following two weekends my wife and I have to be out of town leaving Friday and returning Sunday. Is this too big of a gap to leave them unattended? We're new to the area so we don't have anyone nearby that we could ask to check in on them.

Thanks.

How many days will you have to get them settled before you have to leave? If you can get them settled, and are confident with your heat source, and can leave them enough feed that is set up so they can't foul it, and can do the same with their water (best to hang it) and they can be settled for a few days, you could do that. It wouldn't be my choice. I think I'd look for an option to get chicks after the schedule settles down a bit. I also suggest that you look at using a heating pad brooder instead of a heat lamp. check out Blooie's excellent thread regarding Mama Heating Pad Brooder.

I'll get the chicks on Saturday and then leave on Friday morning/afternoon. I'll be back on Sunday and then leave the following Friday morning.

I did it. I left mine for 2 days. They use a nipple waterer, so I wasn't worried about water running out, dumping, them drowning, or poop and shavings in the water. They had a hanging feeder which was filled to the top before we left. And, as Lazy Gardener said, I didn't have a heat lamp to worry about starting a fire or the chicks over heating!

She also wisely pointed out that they should be okay if you've let them settle in a bit first. Make sure they are drinking, Make sure they know where the food is. And check 'em all for pasty butt. If they have that, clean their little hineys up, coat the down at the vent area with a little olive or coconut oil, and they should be okay.

Good luck!

Oh, and here's the thread LG referred to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

They should be fine, but unless you plan to be held hostage by your birds for the rest of their lives, now is a fine time to start making some friends locally and ask someone to come check on them. Never hurts to have someone around you can call on in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom