Leaving turkeys to roost in the trees over night?

Kacey I15

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2015

Just walked outside to see her in the tree roosting wasn't sure if I should leave her be or bring her in coop I was wondering what most of you would have done I did bring her in the coop.

I got them for fun and couldn't eat them...as my husband says I am a city girl lol.  My husband built a wonderful roost and I was so excited for it and they loved it initially...the roost is at 5ft, with nice space and a roof over that. From what I read thought it would work thru winter and figured I could add sides if needed (we are in a wooded area so wind is blocked).  Then the one of their legs got injured and I realized the issue.  We built a lower roost and I started physically putting him on to get used to it and I woke up in am and he had flown to higher roost. I was shocked and I physically couldn't get him down from there he had to fly.  He made it without snapping a leg.  I will block the higher roost so they can't get to it.  Right now while it is still warm and no snow I they are just sleeping in corners of the yard (they are fenced in with my chickens but the chickens have a small coop not big enough for turkeys)  I didn't know they were BB when we got them:(  I heard their life expectancy isnt long either. Thank you for  your response I will not even bother with a plank.

Oh, a couple of bales of straw/hay with a couple of 1"x8"(10") planks on top of the bales. Once the males start getting "filled out" they'll stick close to the ground. Hens, though they do get the "waddling" stage, tend to fly more (though much less than heritage turks). If you start to put out a measured ration of feed, now (weigh it in the morning and when you bring it in in the evening), it is possible to keep the wt. to a manageable level. We've had members who have kept the males going for 6-8yrs & one member claimed to have kept a BB hen for eleven years (BB hens will mate naturally with heritage toms).

Our BB jake was, of all our male turks, over the years, the most social of the lot. He was also the only turkey we've had to put down (yes, leg problems when poult - thought the problem had been resolved, it hadn't). Just way too friendly.

Best of luck with yours!

If you don't have raccoons, or owls, or ice storms in the winter? Probably not a problem. Ours were returned to the shed (bow and arrow to shoot a leader over the occupied limb - followed by nylon cord on which a couple of, punched through, empty, gallon water jugs had been "attached" - point spotlight at ground where the "landing"/capture zone was defined). Run the gallon jugs along occupied limb (one person on each end of the line - sliding jugs into roosting turkey(s)) - turkeys fly into light and back to the shed they'd go. Once had our first two jennies parked on top of the chimney with a severe thunderstorm rolling in (that was an interesting removal job). However, after the first month of absolutely consistent requirement that the shed was "home roost" - never have had another problem (adult hens do the instruction of their poults - no need for human intervention in over 10 years - and there are 60-80 ft. Hickories in runs and surrounding runs). Also helps to provide some "day roosts" to decrease any "temptation":

If you don't have raccoons, or owls, or ice storms in the winter? Probably not a problem. Ours were returned to the shed (bow and arrow to shoot a leader over the occupied limb - followed by nylon cord on which a couple of, punched through, empty, gallon water jugs had been "attached" - point spotlight at ground where the "landing"/capture zone was defined). Run the gallon jugs along occupied limb (one person on each end of the line - sliding jugs into roosting turkey(s)) - turkeys fly into light and back to the shed they'd go. Once had our first two jennies parked on top of the chimney with a severe thunderstorm rolling in (that was an interesting removal job). However, after the first month of absolutely consistent requirement that the shed was "home roost" - never have had another problem (adult hens do the instruction of their poults - no need for human intervention in over 10 years - and there are 60-80 ft. Hickories in runs and surrounding runs). Also helps to provide some "day roosts" to decrease any "temptation":
Wow very cool! Thank you for sharing!

we have both raccoons and at least one ,good sized, owl real close by. What harm would either do to a turkey?

We leave back in the woods a bit but never seen a owl really close to the house but we seen raccoons not to often by the house but we have before

Owls will kill young turks , raccoon will kill young or old. Turkeys roost in trees or up high when they sleep for protection purposes. they will be ok in the tree but safer in the coop.

how do your turkeys get down from the high roost? Do they fly straight down or jump to a lower roost. I am having problems with my turkeys hurting themselves from high spots. I am guessing I have BB bronze....didnt know that when we got them as poults.

Back
Top Bottom