Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
I banded my six hens and one cockerel Sept 12th at 20 weeks old. On all the birds, I used the 3/4" diameter (B) of the Aluminum leg bands for chickens from Pinnon Hatch. They are all Partridge Plymouth Rocks, too give an idea of sizing.
leg-dim.jpg

The bands on the hens are doing well, but I'm concerned that I misjudged my cockerel. The band is not breaking skin, but I don't know how snug or loose it should be or if placement should have been above the spur versus under, which I did. There is still a centimeter or so of wiggle room and the band can be rotated with the only difficulty being a funny bends I plan to fix with pliers; the metal is very pliable.

20201109_200502.jpg
20201109_200525.jpg

Does this look alright, at least for now? Or do I cut it off. He's my only cock as of now and each bird has a wing band with matching number.

I can try for more photos if needed, probably during daylight.

EDIT: band has been removed; photos on page 2

Attachments

• 20201109_200506.jpg
    20201109_200506.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Folly's place , considering they have their wing bands, I didn't need to rush into banding and will wait later, at least for cockerels. The bands are loose enough on the hens that I'm not sure I'd ever be concerned, save swelling from an injury. I posted pics of the bands on one hen in this thread.

I may invest in some plastic bandettes while I figure out my breeding strategy; I'll be raising chicks to keep for stock or cull for the table, so my wing band/ leg band idea may need to adapt. I know wing bands are easier when the bird is younger, and the permanent leg bands are applied later, so if I cull birds with wing bands at 20 weeks, my leg number system will be off.

We'll see. It's all a grand learning experience. Maybe I'll see if the blank bands from National Band and tag are compatible with my pliers and I'll just stamp the number in myself.

I like the permanence of the bands I chose, but they're a bigger pain, currently, to replace should something go awry.

Why band chickens? What purpose does it serve unless you are doing studies or research?

To be able to identify otherwise identical birds and to provide a permanent ID for flock records as one breeds and improves the birds over the years.

I have two Blue Australorps, Cordon and Teriyaki, whom I could tell apart as chicks but who are now, at 20 weeks, identical. I need to band them so that I can track their laying and behavior.

They're numbered, so he wouldn't get a new one.
A new number wouldn't be the end of the world, would it?
Just note it in your records.

I'm thinking it'll be better to put above the spurs on future cocks.
Yes, for sure.

Id think a logbook and photos would be better for that. But Im new to raising chickens, Ive only had my first 20 for a month or so...10 Black Australorps, 10 light Brahmas...
Banding is much easier, and way more accurate, for IDing.
Logbook, or I use a spreadsheet, for sure.
You can tell all your birds apart?

I think I can se some free space between the band and the leg in one photo. as long as it will freely slide up and down it's OK. But their legs do continue to thicken so you need to be careful. With any kind of eg band you need to regularly check them.

There can be lots of different reasons you want to mark them. That could be record keeping or to tell them apart. If I remember right ID might be required at some shows if you show them.

There are lots of different ways you can mark them like wing bands or numbered leg bands. I use colored zip ties, the color on the left leg tells me which year they were hatched and the colors on the right leg are individual ID for identification and record keeping. Some people use toe punching, essentially using a small hole punch to punch a hole in the membrane between toes. That could be useful to mark young chicks. You can use food dye to mark chicks but you have to keep renewing it. With some methods you can see at a glance which is which, others you may need to catch the chicken.

You need to work up the method that works for you.

I wait as long as possible to leg band my birds, which is okay because I'm not doing individual matings, rather flock matings.
I'll be banding this year's birds mid-winter, when they are closer to nine months of age, and still, we've had bands get too snug by the following summer. And one of last spring's hens needs her leg band replaced now too.
It's necessary to watch those leg banded birds for issues, no matter which type of band used, because things happen, either because the bird looses a band (mostly the plastic ones) or the band causes injuries.
We had a rooster several years ago get his spiral plastic band above his hock and cause a nasty open wound through skin into bone and tendons. It healed, with vet care, poor guy, but wasn't pretty.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom