Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
I banded my six hens and one cockerel Sept 12th at 20 weeks old. On all the birds, I used the 3/4" diameter (B) of the Aluminum leg bands for chickens from Pinnon Hatch. They are all Partridge Plymouth Rocks, too give an idea of sizing.
leg-dim.jpg

The bands on the hens are doing well, but I'm concerned that I misjudged my cockerel. The band is not breaking skin, but I don't know how snug or loose it should be or if placement should have been above the spur versus under, which I did. There is still a centimeter or so of wiggle room and the band can be rotated with the only difficulty being a funny bends I plan to fix with pliers; the metal is very pliable.

20201109_200502.jpg
20201109_200525.jpg

Does this look alright, at least for now? Or do I cut it off. He's my only cock as of now and each bird has a wing band with matching number.

I can try for more photos if needed, probably during daylight.

EDIT: band has been removed; photos on page 2

Attachments

• 20201109_200506.jpg
    20201109_200506.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I would cut it off and give him a bigger one.

They're numbered, so he wouldn't get a new one. That's why I have the wing bands, though. The leg bands are just a LOT easier to read (versus trying to sort feather out of the way).

I'm thinking it'll be better to put above the spurs on future cocks. I've found very limited information on putting leg bands on chickens in general, so hopefully my next go round will provide some photo illustrations for an article on BYC.

Why band chickens? What purpose does it serve unless you are doing studies or research?

Id think a logbook and photos would be better for that. But Im new to raising chickens, Ive only had my first 20 for a month or so...10 Black Australorps, 10 light Brahmas...

Why band chickens? What purpose does it serve unless you are doing studies or research?

To be able to identify otherwise identical birds and to provide a permanent ID for flock records as one breeds and improves the birds over the years.

I have two Blue Australorps, Cordon and Teriyaki, whom I could tell apart as chicks but who are now, at 20 weeks, identical. I need to band them so that I can track their laying and behavior.

They're numbered, so he wouldn't get a new one.
A new number wouldn't be the end of the world, would it?
Just note it in your records.

I'm thinking it'll be better to put above the spurs on future cocks.
Yes, for sure.

Id think a logbook and photos would be better for that. But Im new to raising chickens, Ive only had my first 20 for a month or so...10 Black Australorps, 10 light Brahmas...
Banding is much easier, and way more accurate, for IDing.
Logbook, or I use a spreadsheet, for sure.
You can tell all your birds apart?

So far I can...but soon I probably wont be able to....especially with the Australorps as they are all losing their individual chick markings for the black feathering.....its going to make it VERY TOUGH to identify them...though Im sure they will have individual markings of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom