I think I can se some free space between the band and the leg in one photo. as long as it will freely slide up and down it's OK. But their legs do continue to thicken so you need to be careful. With any kind of eg band you need to regularly check them.

There can be lots of different reasons you want to mark them. That could be record keeping or to tell them apart. If I remember right ID might be required at some shows if you show them.

There are lots of different ways you can mark them like wing bands or numbered leg bands. I use colored zip ties, the color on the left leg tells me which year they were hatched and the colors on the right leg are individual ID for identification and record keeping. Some people use toe punching, essentially using a small hole punch to punch a hole in the membrane between toes. That could be useful to mark young chicks. You can use food dye to mark chicks but you have to keep renewing it. With some methods you can see at a glance which is which, others you may need to catch the chicken.

You need to work up the method that works for you.

Id think a logbook and photos would be better for that.

I have a logbook, but it's pretty easy to just write under their number. For example, since mine are all dual purpose, I weighed them at 8,16, and 20 weeks old. I have a single page with all that data since I have a table of 001 thru 007 vs separate data sheets, which I'll probably have in time. And since they're all the same breed, my hens look incredibly similar; you'd have to print an entire page photo of the chicken to maybe single her from under others.

It really depends on your flock goals, though. Mine are IDed because I have some serious breeding plans for the future. As time goes on, having them tagged will make everything much easier to track.

A new number wouldn't be the end of the world, would it?
Just note it in your records.

Not really, besides the matching wing band. He'd be 001 on his wing and 8 on his leg. Whoever gets 008 wouldn't get the leg band. Neither would be the end of the world, though.

I use the zip tie type of leg bands, & place them above the spur, making sure the leg band can be rotated, & easy to move up the leg a little bit. So there's plenty of wiggle room.
20200621_152412.jpg

New day, new photos! He was NOT happy about this at all. First few are just straight photos, no fiddling the band. 20201110_072412.jpg 20201110_072507.jpg 20201110_072708.jpg

Next few are wiggling it. 20201110_072804.jpg 20201110_072831.jpg 20201110_072849.jpg

You can see where it rests on his skin, but I'm wondering if it's equatable to a wedding band indentation. No signs of irritation, so maybe it's just a wee snug.

I too, think it probably needs to be removed. It's just going to get tighter. As his spur grows there is also the chance it may cut into it, or push the band down into his toe. Instead of messing up your number system, why not reband this one bird with a colored zip tie on his leg? His wing band will still have his number and you will be able to see the zip tie for quick ID.

I think I can se some free space between the band and the leg in one photo. as long as it will freely slide up and down it's OK. But their legs do continue to thicken so you need to be careful. With any kind of eg band you need to regularly check them.

It was looser when I initially banded him at 20 weeks. The monitoring is how I noticed it was more snug. I'm thinking cockerels can grow longer before I band them to more accurately judge size. I couldn't find anything suggesting what age to put a more permanent band on the leg.

I use the zip tie type of leg bands, & place them above the spur, making sure the leg band can be rotated, & easy to move up the leg a little bit. So there's plenty of wiggle room.

Definitely going over next time. What breed is your roo? He's beautiful!

If there is indentation it is too tight.

Then I'm cutting it tonight.

I too, think it probably needs to be removed. It's just going to get tighter. As his spur grows there is also the chance it may cut into it, or push the band down into his toe. Instead of messing up your number system, why not reband this one bird with a colored zip tie on his leg? His wing band will still have his number and you will be able to see the zip tie for quick ID.

Great idea! I actually may already have some.

Thanks everyone! I wanted to have good photos so I can put together a "how-to" on this style band (since the lack of led me to guesswork) and this will be a good "how-NOT-to" addition.

Back
Top Bottom