Leg banding?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I am going to be in the process of getting NPIP certified in the next few months and need to leg band birds in my flock. I know which birds are which currently, but I know I will need an actual system for bird ID on paper. Any recommendations?

I am going to be in the process of getting NPIP certified in the next few months and need to leg band birds in my flock. I know which birds are which currently, but I know I will need an actual system for bird ID on paper. Any recommendations?
Ask your NPIP certifier what exactly is required.

Each state has different rules so asking your NPIP certifier is a great suggestion.

Many people do use leg bands with identifying numbers and letters. One problem with those is that you have to regularly check the leg bands to make sure they don't get too tight and cut the foot off. This need is obvious when the chicken is still growing but even adults' legs can sometimes thicken up.

You might check into wing bands. These are typically metal and attach to the wing. They can go on a baby chick and last a lifetime. The chicks don't grow out of them.

Back
Top Bottom