Leg Injury - Amelia

Quote:
Hi Marlene - I had Amelia (also my favorite) in a crate for over a week. During that time I provided vitamins in her water and kept her from moving around too much. Most of the time she bedded down and rested. As she healed she would walk a bit more but I kept her inside for 3 additional days to ensure that she would have the mobility needed when I reintroduced her to the flock. I followed the advice of keeping my bird confined. Keeping your lady confined and ensuring the leg in question isn't actually paralyzed/not just hurt is important. If the leg is injured, but not paralyzed, you don't see cuts, feel broken bones or notice a dislocation most of the people I have communicated with suggest keeping an injured bird separated in a small area to limit movement and to allow her to rest without having to compete with your other birds for food or water. I always bring my injured birds in side as the temperature is more controlled and I have better access to make sure they are not in distress. Finally - you may need to see a vet if you don't notice improvement after several days. For now I would suggest keeping her confined to a separate area and making sure that she has food and water. We have Buffs as well and they are extremely resilient (and some of the most gentle birds we have). Rest and low activity level should help with the healing process. Vitamins also help - but make sure you give the appropriate amounts. Final update on Amelia. We are reintroducing her to the flock as she is no longer limping and has her mobility back. Amelia was out of the flock for a about a week and a half. While I knew she was a bit lonely during her hospitalization she did better alone near food and water as she didn't have to move on her injured leg to get food or drink. Please let us know if we can help in any way. We know how scary it can be when one of our family members is sick or hurt. My wife and I are extremely grateful for this site and the folks on it. The folks here have taught us lots and are great resources. Hope your lady gets better quickly.

Thanks for the support. Buffy seems a bit better. I cleaned out her box,today and held her up to see if she could put the leg down and she did but non weight bearing. So hopefully in another week or so, she will be on her way.

She doesn't seem to be eating a lot, but enough. She got some scrambled eggs this morning too. I was thinking of giving her some baby aspirin. She also isn't laying. I would think that is normal too.

If anyone has other ideas, let me know.

Marlene

She is eating more in the last 24 hours and she is standing for a few seconds. Mostly still laying. But I'm happy to see this improvement.

N8yoder and Marlene, good to hear that both chickens are improving. People who have reported broken limbs, have said that it can take 3 weeks for a bone to heal. In my experience with sprains, they will need about the same time or longer to stop limping and walk normally.

At 4:30 this morning I heard a commotion out in my enclosed run. I thought a coyote or raccon had gotten in. My largest Lt Brahma, had a slight injury to his foot and I had separated him for aa few days to heal. Last night he chose to go back to the big coop. Well apparently my Bearded BUff Polish Too decided he was to be the only rtoo Now I have a huge Brahma rtoo with a broken leg, multiple puncture wounds, lacerations etc. All his flight feathers on one wing were torn out, and tail feathers were stuck to the BBP"s spurs...a mess! I had to call off work and check everybody for injuries, lookslike the hens got involved protecting the Brahma. He is their favorite. Well I splinted his leg, cleaned and put no pick on his feet, treated all the other wounds, and de= spurred the BBP. Betoven my BBP, is in chicken jail, til his spurs heal. Clyde my Brahma is much happier. It amazes me how just a few days how the dynamics can change in a flock! Took me hours to fix everything. Thank god I keep a emergency kit ready with everything I could ever need on hand. Raising Rottwielers, you learn fast how to treat boo boos quickly. My vet does not handle poultry.

These were the culprits...never again. Will keep them down.

So my BO Buffy has not improved in fact she is worse.

She has lost weight, comb is pink, hardly eating.

I started tube feeding her last night.

This morning, I gave her a really good check, looking for mites. To my surprise, I am going through her feathers and see the nastiest sore. It was black and red. I knew that black was dead skin.

So to the vet I go. That nasty spot is a cyst that has burst open and gotten infected. She is on .8 Baytril twice a day.

Surgery on Tuesday. Yes I am that crazy chicken lady. He said he would charge $50.

I Will post an update Tues night.

I feel so bad that I didn't find it sooner.

Back
Top Bottom