Leg mites? Or normal?

adlynch

Songster
Mar 6, 2016
Spring Hope, NC
Does this look like leg mites, or am I just being paranoid?
She's about 2 years old.
Screenshot_20171217-175827.png

Screenshot_20171217-175840.png

Doesn't seem to be leg mites to me. Generally leg mites 'lift' and protrude the legs scales. and cause noticeable red irritation in some individuals. To ere on caution, I'd use the insecticide of your choosing within your coop and apply an application of petroleum jelly/vegetable oil to her legs. If it is the beginning of leg mites, you have a very long road for treatment ahead of you which is easy, just takes a lot of time. Sooner then later.

They just looked kinda scaly to me, right there at the top of her leg. But like I said... could just be me being paranoid :rolleyes:
Funny about this, I originally got back into chickens after years without as a therapy animal to help with my PTSD..now all I do is worry! And loosing the one last week just crushed me for days. Think I slept better when I was chickenless. lol

Scales are lifted a bit, could be mites under there.
Wouldn't hurt to shove some bag balm or vaseline up under them.
Rub it on/in from tips of toes up towards tops of leg to get it under the scales,
then wipe gently the other way with a rag to get excess off.
Do that once a week for 2-3 weeks, then wait and see if there is a change.
If scales settle back tight, there probably was mites.

Funny about this, I originally got back into chickens after years without as a therapy animal to help with my PTSD..now all I do is worry! And loosing the one last week just crushed me for days. Think I slept better when I was chickenless. lol
I KNOW I slept better when I was chickenless lol! But they are pretty good company :)

Scales are lifted a bit, could be mites under there.
Wouldn't hurt to shove some bag balm or vaseline up under them.
Rub it on/in from tips of toes up towards tops of leg to get it under the scales,
then wipe gently the other way with a rag to get excess off.
Do that once a week for 2-3 weeks, then wait and see if there is a change.
If scales settle back tight, there probably was mites.
Will do! Just to be on the safe side!

Back
Top Bottom