Legal Elimination of Hawks and Owls

I don't understand what guns has to do with any of this. The thread before - that prompted this one - the person released the owl. Don't feed the troll.

That last bit is the best advice I have seen here so far.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Yes, and that is why the Bushmen in Africa build fences made out of acacia bushes with two-inch thorns. They use the environment that respects all life.
cool.png

From the sticky about the predator thread"
I just want to make clear the purpose of this forum.

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defence and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.

All might not agree with methods but if the legal method exists then let it be posted without opinion. Regardless of how difficult it may or may not be to get a permit. Cletus is a simpsons reference:D

EDITED to add a huge thiank you for this! Well done!

Quote:
Sorry, gotta stick my nose in it...just too tempting. I lived my whole life in Africa. Bushmen do not build fences. Why? Because bushmen are semi-nomadic & live off the wild game & plants by stabbing rabbits etc with pointed sticks & hunting with poison arrows. They don't have crops or herds to protect.

About this whole predator thing...if it was your pet dogs being killed by predators which could get over fences & slaughter them anywhere except in the confines of your home, many people's tunes would change fast. Should we lock our Great Danes in a tiny house 24/7 instead of letting them have a garden? I believe that people have the right to protect what is theirs whether it's their pets, their property or their family. No one is planning a large scale eradication of North American raptors...if any were killed, it would be the few that return time & time again to kill people's chickens & wont be deterred. I assure you that many many more are killed on the roads & die prematurely from natural causes.
I don't believe in lying to people about their rights-rights seem to be a very important part of American culture. If it's difficult to get a permit, then it's difficult like many other things in life. Difficult is not impossible & each state is different. If someone pulls this off & relocates or eradicates a predator, good for them. If they don't get it right, at least they tried everything they could to protect what is theirs. Eradicating a few predators from species that aren't rare, is far less damaging to the environment than building a house.

Quote:
Sorry, gotta stick my nose in it...just too tempting. I lived my whole life in Africa. Bushmen do not build fences. Why? Because bushmen are semi-nomadic & live off the wild game & plants by stabbing rabbits etc with pointed sticks & hunting with poison arrows. They don't have crops or herds to protect.

About this whole predator thing...if it was your pet dogs being killed by predators which could get over fences & slaughter them anywhere except in the confines of your home, many people's tunes would change fast. Should we lock our Great Danes in a tiny house 24/7 instead of letting them have a garden? I believe that people have the right to protect what is theirs whether it's their pets, their property or their family. No one is planning a large scale eradication of North American raptors...if any were killed, it would be the few that return time & time again to kill people's chickens & wont be deterred. I assure you that many many more are killed on the roads & die prematurely from natural causes.
I don't believe in lying to people about their rights-rights seem to be a very important part of American culture. If it's difficult to get a permit, then it's difficult like many other things in life. Difficult is not impossible & each state is different. If someone pulls this off & relocates or eradicates a predator, good for them. If they don't get it right, at least they tried everything they could to protect what is theirs. Eradicating a few predators from species that aren't rare, is far less damaging to the environment than building a house.

Amen....thanks
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I haven't read every post-short attention span and all :p But I wanted to add my experience. I called the GFP department this spring, to see if they had any suggestions for "scaring" away a red tailed hawk that had found my open chicken buffet (free range chickens) He did advise me that I could get a permit, to have someone do a trap and release-or something along the lines...anyway, he said by the time I got through all of the paperwork, and paid fees (upwards of $800!) it probably wouldn't be worth it-not to mention that he's never had anyone to date (around here) actually get through all of the paperwork:gig

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=278

organization: “Game bird breeders kill federally protected birds of prey.”

Johnson: “Some breeders do obtain a depredation permit from their respective state for their birds similar to what a grain farmer would do for his crops. However, federally and state-protected birds are not harmed in any way. The same holds true at preserve operations. Preserve operations actually aid birds of prey and other predators by increasing the prey base for the area. If protected birds are harmed illegally, we support actions against those individuals.”

So they are indeed requested and approved, it probably varies very greatly region to region.​

Last edited:
Brahma - you're right, its costly. I'd like to see someone that actually HAS a permit. I spoke with my neighbor not too long ago (remember - game wardens
wink.png
) and asked if they've ever heard of or approved anyone getting said permit...

answer: NOPE - not unless people themselves were getting attacked. Solution: fence your chickens.

So - anyone out here actually HAVE an approved permit they'd like to share? Just curious....

Back
Top Bottom