Leghorn-PLEASE HELP!

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
Ugh.. It could be just me being over paranoid again but I trust everyones opinions on here so I wanted to see what everyone thought first before me stressing myself to point of exhaustion…My Leghorn Susie doesnt look right I feel.. I dont believe its molt its been like this then I thought maybe from mating cause its near her comb..but then noticed its also around her eyes! And messy bum..I attached photos down below..I dont see mites and no one else has same situation going on in her flock?!But I just feel like it is mites!! Id really appreciate all the help and input I can get!

Attachments

• 240C2159-2C1B-40AC-896B-F88EC1570887.jpeg
    240C2159-2C1B-40AC-896B-F88EC1570887.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 4FB83FC3-6F84-4E07-9C71-7107D9A21F75.jpeg
    4FB83FC3-6F84-4E07-9C71-7107D9A21F75.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 8E87648C-4CE6-4C5A-8FA7-14098CB9816D.jpeg
    8E87648C-4CE6-4C5A-8FA7-14098CB9816D.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E7FE2E8A-5867-4AB5-9C1B-7F9807B0C7E1.jpeg
    E7FE2E8A-5867-4AB5-9C1B-7F9807B0C7E1.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 5
  • F30B8B3D-5856-45A6-ACD1-FB066B5FDFCC.jpeg
    F30B8B3D-5856-45A6-ACD1-FB066B5FDFCC.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 275626E1-C6C0-4D91-A767-82CEF97AE111.jpeg
    275626E1-C6C0-4D91-A767-82CEF97AE111.jpeg
    650 KB · Views: 5
  • 311BBACD-7A09-4C7A-A438-301B1E7459AF.jpeg
    311BBACD-7A09-4C7A-A438-301B1E7459AF.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA?!! Please? 😩
I’m not as experienced as some people on here but my leghorn is experiencing some of the same on her head around her eyes I believed it to be molting not mating (as we have no rooster), mine doesn’t have the messy bum tho. Maybe separate problem or she’s decided to take a dust bath in damp dirt that’s just stuck/stained her feathers ( I can’t see if it’s poo or just dirt in the photo)? Has she been introduced to any new birds or food?

Ugh.. It could be just me being over paranoid again but I trust everyones opinions on here so I wanted to see what everyone thought first before me stressing myself to point of exhaustion…My Leghorn Susie doesnt look right I feel.. I dont believe its molt its been like this then I thought maybe from mating cause its near her comb..but then noticed its also around her eyes! And messy bum..I attached photos down below..I dont see mites and no one else has same situation going on in her flock?!But I just feel like it is mites!! Id really appreciate all the help and input I can get!
I you feel that it's mites, go out and check her out when she's roosting at night. You should be able to see the mites.

Wash her bum and get it cleaned up.

If you do find mites (or lice), then treat her and the whole flock including housing/coop with a Permethrin based poultry spray. Repeat the process in 7 day intervals.

I don't see anything with her eyes but she does appear to have some gleet.
I was afraid of it being vent gleet but I wasn't positive because of photos (and symptoms)I’ve seen of it in comparison to her. But they all around this time were also finishing up corid treatment so wasnt sure if it was actual gleet or just messy butt fluff from looser stools. As far as her eyes I was referring to bald patches if you zoom in you can see pink..from random spots and typically she doesnt have patches of missing feathers like that!

I you feel that it's mites, go out and check her out when she's roosting at night. You should be able to see the mites.

Wash her bum and get it cleaned up.

If you do find mites (or lice), then treat her and the whole flock including housing/coop with a Permethrin based poultry spray. Repeat the process in 7 day intervals.
I attempted a few times on my own didnt notice any in those “half assed” attempts but Im going to ask my mom or fiance to lend me a hand and light and do it again this weekend. I read its not uncommon for you to not spot any on chicken or in coop and just notice from feathers appearing dull or little bald spots. Idk how accurate that is. Also question about treatment.. Ru saying to use same exact permethrin 10% spray used to clean coops on them also? I thought I have to get a topical permethrin meant to be used on actual animal or is that not case? Someone handed me Mitex thinking that was the stuff I needed and know its used for ear mites in dogs but its permethrin so is that something that could be used as topical treatment? And I bought DE I was going to mix into sand and dirt used for their dust bath to help with preventative..But have read mixed opinions on whether this is ok(even if used only in dust bath thats out door run with a lot of ventilation)In your opinion do you think I should I not do DE and instead use poultry permethrin powder in with dust bath or?

I attempted a few times on my own didnt notice any in those “half assed” attempts but Im going to ask my mom or fiance to lend me a hand and light and do it again this weekend. I read its not uncommon for you to not spot any on chicken or in coop and just notice from feathers appearing dull or little bald spots. Idk how accurate that is. Also question about treatment.. Ru saying to use same exact permethrin 10% spray used to clean coops on them also? I thought I have to get a topical permethrin meant to be used on actual animal or is that not case? Someone handed me Mitex thinking that was the stuff I needed and know its used for ear mites in dogs but its permethrin so is that something that could be used as topical treatment? And I bought DE I was going to mix into sand and dirt used for their dust bath to help with preventative..But have read mixed opinions on whether this is ok(even if used only in dust bath thats out door run with a lot of ventilation)In your opinion do you think I should I not do DE and instead use poultry permethrin powder in with dust bath or?
I was afraid of it being vent gleet but I wasn't positive because of photos (and symptoms)I’ve seen of it in comparison to her. But they all around this time were also finishing up corid treatment so wasnt sure if it was actual gleet or just messy butt fluff from looser stools.
You'll have to actually gather her up and take a closer look to determine if it's Vent Gleet or just a dirty bum. Vent Gleet is generally a continuous white yeasty discharge.

Do you have photos of the Permethrin 10? The label and instructions should tell you whether you can use it on the birds themselves. Most have a ratio to be mixed and applied to birds and their housing. An ear mite treatment is not going to treat a chicken, just use the right stuff. If you don't want to use the mixed Permethrin spray on the birds according to the label, then get some Permethrin Poultry Dust and treat the birds.
DE is not going to be an effective treatment against and infestation.

I will be honest . I have leghorns and I see nothing wrong. Just looks like a dirty butt. Sometimes poo on them is normal...sometimes. Sometimes it's not. What matters is; are they acting normal, are they laying, are they eating/drinking, are they losing weight? Just watch her actions. In addition I will add...if you had white feathers on your butt and no tissue to wipe it with, then your butt wouldn't be clean either😁

Back
Top Bottom