Leghorn/Rhode Island Red cross?

OMG! I think that White Leghorn hen is about 100 years old! Just kidding! How come that hen is so ugly? No offense just wondering why.

Quote:
You are correct. The rooster has to be red, and the hen has to have the white/silver gene. If you reverse the colors, then you just have a bunch of red-white chicks that cannot be sexed at birth. The ones that turn into hens should be good egg layers, but probably won't be inclined to being handled by people.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

The hen in front appears to either be over-mated by an aggressive roo, or is being picked on by an aggressive hen. You can see her hindquarters are bare too. She should be removed and isolated till she gets her feathers back.

If your eggs came from a RIR rooster and a white hen with the silver gene, then the females would be redish fluff, and the males would be yellowish or whiteish if they were sex-link chickens. Do you think you have all males?

or
if the female was white, and lacking the sliver gene, then they couldn't be color sexed at hatching. I think this was already stated.

And..... doesn't the egg color come from the hen? And if the hen was leghorn, wouldn't the eggs be white? If you were to do some searches here in the box on the upper right hand side of the screen you would probably find some amazing information on chicken genetics. People post here who have TONs of knowledge on the subject.

Let us know once you find out.

Last edited:
cool.png
thumbsup.gif
I have three ,they started laying at twenty three weeks.one lays a double yoker at least three times a week.they are so sweet.and great layers.sorry i don't have pictures.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

The hen in front appears to either be over-mated by an aggressive roo, or is being picked on by an aggressive hen. You can see her hindquarters are bare too. She should be removed and isolated till she gets her feathers back.

Or she is just molting and it's no biggie.

Ok, this thread is almost 2 ears old from 7/2009
lol.png
I hope the OP is still around and will let us know how the chickies turned out!

Regarding the RIR/Leghorns: I was thinking of doing the TJ's hatch along but only have a local health food market that sells fertile eggs from a vendor in CA. I contcted them and they use ISA Brown hens and White Leghorn type roos because they are light weight and aren't as damaging to the hens. They use the white roos because they can tell girls from boys at a distance in a crowded cage-free situation. This appears to be a common strategy in the industry.

just wanna make sure is that white chicken with the brown on its back a cross between a white leghorn and a rhode island red??? I have about 58 chickens that all looks just like that one. I bought them as 3 day old chicks..... Please i'm curious

Hi Loula,

This thread is really old. You will get better responses if you post your own new thread and pictures of your birds. You will have to have 10 posts before you can add a picture, but you can use those up quickly by dropping by your state thread to say hi or the social areas.

Good luck! I think that roo that was posted was a gold sex link boy. Contrary to popular belief, white leghorns are not used in sex link crosses. There is some really good information in the "breeds & genetics" section - at the top is a "sticky note" about sex linked breeding.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom