Leghorn roosters - can they be nice?

Petra Pancake

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
So I'm planning on getting a few Leghorns to enlarge my mixed flock. In principle I want hens but as my two Bantam roosters died this summer, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Leghorn rooster as well at the same time. But I read that they are often quite aggressive. True?

Anyone out there with good or bad experiences with Leghorn roosters?

My main reason for getting a roo would be small scale breeding. He would be confined in a run but I don't want to get a monster that attacks me every time I have to go in. (My Bantam roos never attacked me).

Its going to depend more on the individual rooster and how it was raised then the breed imo.
I have 27 leghorn roosters and have no trouble with any of them. Actually never had a bad leghorn rooster.
The two worse roosters I've had were a lavender Orpington and a buff brahma. Neither were raised here so I don't know what their background was but those two breeds are supposedly docile breeds.

Its going to depend more on the individual rooster and how it was raised then the breed imo.
I have 27 leghorn roosters and have no trouble with any of them. Actually never had a bad leghorn rooster.
The two worse roosters I've had were a lavender Orpington and a buff brahma. Neither were raised here so I don't know what their background was but those two breeds are supposedly docile breeds.
I tend to agree with moonshiner... My IL roos have all been pretty good... My dels on the other hand can be challenging--but at my place, bad roo's go to freezer camp.

I have two roosters that are mixed. I is a leghorn (hen's side) and polish (rooster's side) mix. The other is the former rooster's son and the hen was a brahma, so he's quite large, but has primarily leghorn coloring. Both were raised with a hands off approach and are not human aggressive. They are not full leghorn roosters, though.

Back
Top Bottom