Leghorn Thread

Okay Leghorners.... I bought this pullet as a silver leghorn, however I thought all leghorns have yellow legs. Now I'm not sure. ??? My daughter was thinking of entering in our local county fair, but need to be sure of her breed. We bought our chickens from McMurray. This girl is approx 12wks old in pictures. Any input would be appreciated.

No predators. I have a lot of different chickens, but only the leghorns were "talking" ...

Also... I have 3 girls all bought from the same hatchery at the same time, so approx the same age... only 2 of my girls have the bright red combs and are laying... the 3rd is slowing gaining red, but hers is still on the smallish side.. Anyone know why the delay in her maturing?

I have 17 girls - 6 different breeds ... and only 4 are laying... 2 of my reds, and 2 of my leghorns... I wish they'd all get with the program!

One last thing.. my 2 white leghorn girls are excellent layers! I've gotten eggs out of them almost every day this week since they've started laying! One day I even got 2 eggs out of the same hen! I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't been in the coop when it happened!

My babies are all grown up now!!! Well only 6 have made the step from pullet to hen. On the 15th one day before their 5 month mark i found 3 eggs!!! I was on cloud 9!!! So happy for my white leg horns! They may not be fertile eggs but im going to try and put them in the incubater on sunday. So far i have collected 10 eggs. 3 on 7-15 , 1 on 7-16 (5 month(s) mark) , 3 on 7-17 , and 3 more just now ! So ive done the math an im assuming 6 are laying now. But i still need to sell 2 or 3 roosters because there are just too many in the coop. For their own safety and my own piece of mind some need to be sold.

Where's the like button when you need it! :)   Congrats on your little girls growing up!!
. thank you CnKsMommy they are now laying 5 today!!! And 4 yesterday :) so im thinking that I now have 9 hens :)))!!!! Waiting untill sat. Or sun. To put these in. Already put the first clutch into the incubator.
1f60b.png
Doubt all will hatch because it is first clutch.

I have a Red Star (New Hampsire and Silver Wyandotte mix) plus a couple of Black Australorps and three Black Langshans.

The Langshans are the slowest growers of the group of six but don't let the size fool you from as early as 1 week (8-9 days) old one the the Langshans had decided he was ready to hang out with the older chickens and stop following his group and would stand right in there with the big chickens and squabble over food water or simply right of way. It was like watching the Foghorn Leggern cartoon with the baby chicken hawk. What really struck me was the others just accepted that any chicken, no matter how small, that would get all confident and right in their face like that had to be OK by them.

So to bring this back to leghorns, they are I read the most efficient at converting bags of chicken feed into eggs but most are too small for making a good table bird (chicken dinner).

The Star is growing fastest of the bunch. That being said I am most pleased with my fast growing Red Star from MyPetChicken. She has been the most robust and friendliest. At only weeks I could pick her up and sit with her in my lap with no wing flapping or panic at all. She calms right down and lets you stroke her neck and feathers. Her size was huge already at four weeks fully capable of flying to a 2 foot ledge with confidence. Curious, lazy and sturdy. Wish I had a couple more of her type. These should be both good table birds and egg early and supposedly efficient egg layers. Remains to be seen.

I have considered adding a couple of Leghorns to breed in to increase efficiency but have instead decided to go with (probably) crossing in some Jersey giants from eggs instead to increase table size at the cost of rapid growth and egg laying efficiency and speed. The tales of Giants fending off mid-level predators doesn't hurt their chances either.

For me the chance of the perfect blend of the Jersey size and the Red Star's egg laying and growth rate and tame friendliness/curiosity might make an ideal mutt.

Last edited:
Bringing down the White Leghorn eggs on Aug, 8th. I cant wait to see how many hatch :D I think that clutches within the next month or to will have a higher hatch rate because it will be about the 4th or 5th clutch to go inside the incubator. After I obtain a higher hatch rate , I will then complete the website so that day old chicks can be purchased , and also a variety of exotic fowl. (Peas, Pheasants, and Jumbo Pekin Ducks. I will keep everyone up to date on the progress , Our adult Hens have started laying at and before July 16th (5 Mo. Old) The males have large Waddles and Combs that are a florescent Red. All White Leghorns have typical Tee Pee (or triangle) shaped tail fathers. Very Loveable Breed especially if hand raised from "Day Olds" , My Leghorns , RiRs , and Silkies can pick me out from a group of people , and I can whistle a certain way and they will come running out from the coop to see what treats I have brought them :D . Thank You For Reading :) -Cody (KBHatchery)
D.gif

Right now I only have 2 rose comb Brown Leghorns, but I am getting more. Mine are really sweet, they like to follow me around all the the time. I havent found any information about breeding RC brown leghorn, so I have a question. If you breed a RCBL with a RCBL do you get all RCBL offspring?

Here are some pics of my 2 girls ( by the way this just a temporary pen they are in)

Back
Top Bottom