Leghorns friendly?

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
Love the brown leghorns and someone is selling them nearby. Are leghorns friendly and easy to tame?
Or are they very flighty? if they are flighty can you train them out of it?
Thanks!
D.gif

I have 2 brown Leghorns and they are very friendly and tame. My 2 silver Leghorns and my white one are not friendly though. I bought them all from the same breeder and they were all mature and laying when I bought them. I can't say the colour has something to do with it as these are my first Leghorns, but it is interesting that the brown ones are so much friendlier and less skittish than the others.

I, too, have found that brown Leghorns are less flighty than white.

I keep a lot of white Leghorns, and they are just skittish birds. They definitely don't want to be handled. I don't know if you could train them out of being flighty--that's just a basic descriptor of the breed.

I have a white leghorn and to be honest she is pretty, but I regret buying her. They are extremely flighty and very easily spooked. But do lay tasty white eggs
1f604.png

We have three leghorns- two white (one randomly showed up at our property and never left) and one dutch (brown). The whites do not like being touched but will eat out of my hands and I can get eggs from under them without them flipping. The dutch I can *occasionally* touch but she will not take food from me, and squacks and runs like I'm going to hurt her if I try to take eggs from under her. I actually prefer my white leghorns and I think they're a great breed.

I have one white and one brown leghorn. They were both a bit skittish when I first got them (as 3 month old pullets) but I was able to tame them pretty easily. They can fly very well which I learned during a neighbor dog incident but they choose to stay in the yard. GREAT layers.

I definitely agree with ChickensRDinos--the fact that they're skittish is no reason not to have some. Great birds, egg laying machines--just not cuddlers.

My 3 1/2 week old white leghorn jumped on my lap today. She is the most curious bird in my new flock. I hold her every day, which she does not really care for. I was pretty surprised when she hopped on my lap and jumped from one side to the other for quite a while. The other white LH are pretty skittish still, but not this girl!

Last edited:
We have 3 White Leghorns. They are the most tame in our flock of Easter Eggers, Australorps, Sex-links, Seabrites & Rhode Island Reds. They are very nosey but funny at the same time. They are my pick of all our breeds.

I LOVED my two Leghorn hens when I had a flock a standard sized chickens. They were so sweet they'd even let my 6 year old daughter tote them around and they were egg laying machines!

Back
Top Bottom