Leghorns not laying

ashleynicole

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
South Carolina
Hi so I had a lady give me some white leghorns she was given them as well and had them for 2 weeks before she gave them to me.. She said they did not lay one egg when she had them but the lady she got them from said they did lay at one point and then stopped.. They are 10 months old that's what they tell me and they were free range but the first owner stopped feeding them she just let them free range for food. So I'm thinking nutritional or stress may be the reason for this but would like some input? Will they ever lay again? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Takes a while for a chicken to feel safe enough to lay after being moved to a new home, they will start laying when they feel more comfortable, I would not expect much for a month or two, after that they should be great layers. In the winter eating a feed with higher protein can help with laying as well, so look for something in the 18-20 % for protein.

Hi so I had a lady give me some white leghorns she was given them as well and had them for 2 weeks before she gave them to me.. She said they did not lay one egg when she had them but the lady she got them from said they did lay at one point and then stopped.. They are 10 months old that's what they tell me and they were free range but the first owner stopped feeding them she just let them free range for food. So I'm thinking nutritional or stress may be the reason for this but would like some input? Will they ever lay again? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

If I am reading this correctly, these birds have changed homes twice in very rapid succession recently - moving is a stressor for chickens, and one of the first systems to shut down when stressed is the reproductive system of a hen. It can take several weeks for a bird to return to production after a stress - especially when you factor in potential malnutrition and the limited hours of daylight this time of year -- in short, a perfect storm of potential causes of a disruption of laying. Give them time and provide them a good, solid diet and plenty of fresh water - they will return to production.

Guess they like their new home! I've had them 10 days!!I got my first 2 white eggs today!

Back
Top Bottom