Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons

This is my Lemon Cuckoo orpington cockerel.:love He is the sweetest cockerel of the flock. I was wondering if I bred him to a buff orp what color would I get?
He does not appear to be "double barred" , meaning he only has a single copy of the barring gene. If so you will get a mixture of buffs and Lemon Cuckoo when bred with a buff hen.

I purchased a batch of LCO chicks from Jordan Farms & all turn out to be roosters. ALL 7 of them! Two of them we thought were hens until they started crowing! They did not have the double barring gene. I am not knowledgeable about the genetics at all, but thought I would post this picture for referencing & comments. If anybody near 17339 is looking for a lemon with the double barring, please PM me.

This is a good photo that has both"single" and "double" barred roos. Actually one of them may be simply buff...hard to tell in the pic
If you'll notice two of them are quite a bit lighter shade with the "lemon" colored hackles and white under carriage, as well the one in front has the darkness in the tail.

"Double barred" simply means that the bird carries 2 copies of the barring gene. The biggest reason this is desirable is the fact that ALL of the offspring from them will be barred.
As the barring gene is only carried on the male chromosome, females can only carry a single copy, thus they cannot be "double" barred.

"Lemon Cuckoo" is just another name for "buff barred"...so there are many ways to make these birds.

By breeding Double Barred roosters to Barred hens, of course you will get 100% Barred offspring.

By breeding Double Barred roosters to Buff hens, you will still get 100% barred offspring. The Male offspring will be split, some double barred and some single.

By Breeding Single barred roosters to Barred hens you will get a mix of Barred (both single and double) and buff offspring.

By Breeding .....yeah yeah yeah.....the list goes on!

Basically....if any of your birds are barred, some of the offspring will be. You can do punnet squares and figure the odds ;)

Some myths or misconceptions...

There are no "Double barred" Hens or pullets...again, the barring gene is on the male chromosome. Females have only a single male chromosome and thus cannot carry 2 copies of the barring gene.
Some hens show a more distinct or stronger barring pattern than others, and usually have a lighter more lemony shade to the buff. This I would believe comes more from line breeding a strain thus solidifying gene modifiers - Many times the double barring in roosters comes from the same type of line breeding which as well causes the buff to dilute to lemon. This is what I thinkn makes people think the better looking hens are "double barred".

There is no such thing as a buff that carries but does not show the barring gene...sorry, it does not work that way! There is no "split for" or "Het for" without showing the barring....they are simply buffs who were born from one or even 2 barred parents.

Hope some of this info helps...I have spent quite some time learning it, lol!

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, just a Guy that reads alot...feel free to correct anything I am wrong about. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear, do not eat with wheaties, use only as prescribed, not liable for injuries sustained when ingested on the third Friday of leap year in Poland, Always stretch before exercising rights of free speech.

Last edited:
I started with a double bar rooster a few buff hens and 3 single barred hens. I have almost weeded out all my buff hens, and am starting to get my double barred hens. I have 2 so far.. and plenty of double barred roos. My original rooster had very strong double barred genetics as well as passing his size to the hens.

I started with a double bar rooster a few buff hens and 3 single barred hens. I have almost weeded out all my buff hens, and am starting to get my double barred hens. I have 2 so far.. and plenty of double barred roos. My original rooster had very strong double barred genetics as well as passing his size to the hens.

Could you explain, how you got double barred hens?

When you have a double barred roster crossed with a single bar hen you get hens that are barred. So if you are crossing a cock with buff hens it will take a second generation to get bared hens. But if you breed that hen to a buff roo. you loose the barring.

When you have a double barred roster crossed with a single bar hen you get hens that are barred. So if you are crossing a cock with buff hens it will take a second generation to get bared hens. But if you breed that hen to a buff roo. you loose the barring.

That is true, however the term "double barred" refers to roosters who have 2 barring genes. As the barring gene is only carried on the male Chromosome, hens cannot have 2 copies...so I cannot understand when people use the term "double barred" when referring to hens?
I am not trying to correct you or cause an issue, just trying to understand?

Last edited:
Barring often does not express very well on pheomelanin (red pigment) & even less well on adult females. A female can appear to be solid buff while, in fact, being barred & she will still pass on the barrig gene to her male offspring. This can usually be seen to some extent in certain places. I have found that one of the places where barring is most likely to show is on the feather around the thighs.

Back
Top Bottom