Lessons learned in my battle with mites

Ditto the advice to treat with ivermectin (or eprinomectin - sounds like it would work too). May need to retreat several times (doesn't kill eggs, severe infestation). 0.2mg/kg seem to be a standard dosage for many species. Topical treatment can be higher. As I wrote on another thread, an older version of Exotic Animal Formulary by James Carpenter DVM claims "...dosages exceeding 0.2mg/kg are probably unnecessary in birds." A few species actually have a higher dose listed. He doesn't mention chickens specifically but does state "Most species" and goes on to list many types of bird.

I almost lost my chicken - did not realize she had mites until she went into full molt, I picked her up, and I ended up covered with mites. They do eventually die (my jar of vent feathers, I could look at them with a usb microscope - it took about a month for them all to kick off). Once I realized she had mites, I treated her immediately with ivermectin. I know it made a big difference.

Hi Everybody!

We also had (red)mites and tried everything - chemicals for the coop, dusting the ladies-, but they appeared again and again, so I got really fed up with them. I thought, I rather destroy the hole coop than see my ladies with mites... So I went drastic: got the kettle and washed the hole coop (every part of it) with boiling water.
The wood survived the operation ;) and I haven't seen any mites since a year now!!!!

OK, maybe I just got lucky, but I thought I share it with you. ;)

Wishing you all mite-free ladies!!!!!

As previously mentioned Eprinex and Ivomec are in the same family and manufactured by Merck, but are two different compounds and we have found that neither is particularly successful either. The only product that works for us is Frontline Spray for dogs and cats. I feel, and my suspicions have been corroborated by others, that some birds, particularly cock birds, have a different body chemistry and are more susceptible than others. Therefore, you can treat the more susceptible cocks and keep the mites under control without worrying about the eggs.

It's my roosters that seem to have the consistent mite problems - and I've wondered if it's something with them. I was thinking about trying the Eprinex or Frontline just on them to see how it goes. My permanent roosters are usually pets and aren't eaten, so it might be worth a try. Also, they have contact with the hens and probably keep passing the mites around, so if I could rid them of mites it would probably help a lot.

Hi Everybody!

We also had (red)mites and tried everything - chemicals for the coop, dusting the ladies-, but they appeared again and again, so I got really fed up with them. I thought, I rather destroy the hole coop than see my ladies with mites... So I went drastic: got the kettle and washed the hole coop (every part of it) with boiling water.
The wood survived the operation ;) and I haven't seen any mites since a year now!!!!

OK, maybe I just got lucky, but I thought I share it with you. ;)

Wishing you all mite-free ladies!!!!!
I've got an industrial steam cleaner--the kind they use in restaurant kitchens. I wonder if I ought to be periodically cleaning the roosts and inside of the coop with it.

Just from curiosity, could I ask:

-What kind of litter are you using in your coop?
-Do you have a dirt floor under the litter ... or what kind of floor in the coop under the litter?

Thanks.

I use pine shavings from TSC or the feed store. (Shrink wrapped packages.) It's a wooden floor and a well built wooden coop that's only about 5 years old.

Tomorrow is "check up" day for my flock. I'll be checking them all over - not just the vent area - after that disaster with my rooster. It may well be worth it to treat my roosters with something I wouldn't be comfortable using on my hens or cockerels that will be eaten at some point. I do wonder if we got rid of the mites living on the roosters if it wouldn't help.

Has anyone tried using tea tree oil for mites? I came across an interesting article: http://joybileefarm.com/homestead-p...tor-diseases-on-you-homestead-part-3/#respond

Here is part of it: "Scientists in Australia found that a dip in a 2% tea tree oil solution killed 100% of lice on sheep and goats. Chickens control their own lice by dust bathing. You can increase their success by adding wood ashes to their dusting places. To make animals less attractive to lice, spray their top line with a mixture of 1 tsp. tea tree oil and 1 cup of witch hazel." It does say tea tree oil shouldn't be used on cats or rabbits, so I'm not sure if it's safe for chickens.

Being a city boy in the country the locals piled on the scorn and ridicule when I suggested the answer to their chickens' mite problem was to simply throw a clove or two of garlic in the water and change the water regularly. Being a city boy in the country I did first fall foul (teehee) of a very overwhelming mite problem myself - we had to shower after going in the coop for a little while. I sprayed the coop with chemicals twice a week for a month to little avail. So I changed tactics...
We now grow lavender and garlic by the bucketful. Crushed garlic is added to oats soaked in hot water (with a little jam or yoghurt if the girls are being picky) every few days. Any garlic peel gets thrown in the coop and nesting boxes (saw an old Italian fella in the neighbourhood doing this), along with lavender. A good spray of diluted tea tree oil (or lavender oil if my stocks are low) once a week throughout the coop helps, and to reduce the cause the chickens now have a treadle feeder. Mind, my 4 girls are a long way from managing 25. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom