Let chickens be chickens

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
I let the chickens out to graze this morning, after spending a day in doors (so to speak). I don't want to interfere too much into the chickens world only because I want chickens to be chickens. If I stay out with them to long, I start to micro- manage their movements. Go here! don't go here! Go there. So, I have been doing other things, and would occasionally go to check up on them.
Well it got to be that time, when I decided to go see what they were up to. I was glad to see that they stayed close to the house and were all accounted for. I decided to walk over to the coop and maybe clean the surroundings a little. The hens and rooster followed after me and were in the woods. I could see them, they could see me. One of the hens was being mindful and checking the sky. She glanced up. and then I noticed she cautiously heading toward the coop. The next minute BAM! A hawk dive bombs the chicks, they scattered as only they knew how. I was clapping my hands together and calling them back to the coop. hoping to chase off the hawk.
The hawk couldn't care less. Its main concern was lunch.
They made it back to the coop unscathed but much un-nerved. No one looked injured,just shook up. The hawk took off as fast as it showed up. All was calm.
So much for letting chickens be chickens.

I understand that crows are helpful for deterring them. But, that wasn't the case yesterday. UPDATE: I let the chicks out again, not to be bullied by the hawk. Five are out in the yard, but in proximity to shelter, and one is staying home in the coop. My guess is, she was the one closest to the hawk during the attack. The rooster is staying with her.

Darned nuisance.

We see the occasional hawk fly over but they could hassle only chicks. We have plenty of natural cover so I hope that they all know to run for it at the right time and that the adults are vigilant.

Those dang hawks come out of nowhere, don't they? I've got a nesting pair near my house and now I have adult hawks with juveniles learning how to hunt.

Now, I'm playing a game of "chicken" with the hawk(Pardon the pun). This morning I was visiting the chicks and rooster, and while I was standing there, the chicks froze and sounded the alert. Lo and behold, the hawk(read bully) comes and lands on a tree branch, directly across from the coop. I had another citing later; while cutting grass. This thing is determined, and waiting for me to slip up. Meanwhile, the chicks are starting to associate me with bad news. They see me and scramble- NOT GOOD. I will just have to be really vigilant while I have them out. This is unbelievable.

I had a hawk land on my coop and look through the wire at my birds. He couldn't get to them since the top was fenced in. Once I put on shade cloth he stopped visiting. He did damage the solar panel I had for the automatic door. I don't know that that was about. Maybe he saw his reflection.

I had a hawk land on my coop and look through the wire at my birds. He couldn't get to them since the top was fenced in. Once I put on shade cloth he stopped visiting. He did damage the solar panel I had for the automatic door. I don't know that that was about. Maybe he saw his reflection.
"Just wait, dinner. I know, why don't you unlatch that door? Come out, and we'll go find some yummy bugs...yeahhhhhh thats it, yummy bugs. You like bugs don't you? Just come on out, I'm a trustworthy guy!"

I had a hawk dive down in my yard one day... My big RIR rooster spun those legs as fast as he could to my open shed while my BO roo got all the ladies to safty... After all was over, my RIR roo strutted out of the shed as if he was the BOMB diggity (he's pretty fly for a RIR) I laugged so hard!!
I bought a plastic owl from Walmart and haven't seen anything overhead since. I also "strategicly" move my owl around. Every time I move him my yard gets VERY quiet for a few minutes lol

Back
Top Bottom