Let me help you find the best dog breed that matches your life style and needs:

Pics

Feathers of Eden

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Ontario,Canada
I have been intimately involved with Canine and specifically Livestock Guardian dogs and sheepdogs and Sheppard breeds for almost forty years.

My last dog was( it is the first time I am using was for him instead of is) a Shetland Sheepdog who filled the last 15 years of my Canadian Life with joy and passed away ten day ago.

I have kept Caucasian Sheppard as a pet and guard dog for years. I used to live in Iran and moved to Canada 16 years ago. My last dog was a Caucasian Sheppard/ German Sheppard mix who her first litter was the lucky number of 13 puppies.

More than anything I am passionate about dogs and dog breeds.

When my dog Delta was young I used to take him to the local dog park so he can socialize with other dogs and I can also improve my social skills . There in the park was a young Japanese lady around 24 years old. She had a German Sheppard that was big and full of curiosity and energy. She was a very petit girl weighing less than the dog. Dog was too energetic and wild to be off leash so he was always pulling her toward whatever he wanted to sniff or play with.

She was always tired since she was working all day and in the afternoon even the thought of walking her dog was a painful chore. Plus her dog was notoriously infamous for playing harsh with smaller dogs. We all liked her but not her dog.

On day after couple of years knowing each other I asked her what was the reason she picked German Sheppard . She said when she was a kid back in Japan she used to watch a TV show staring a German Sheppard so she followed her raw childhood dream.
I think almost every country has a long lasting TV show staring German Sheppard . I know we had two of them in Iran. Inspector Rex was one of them.

How many bored German Sheppard and frustrated owner are victim of Hollywood and dog TV shows, only God knows

For choosing Shetland Sheepdog when I moved to Canada I used three different online website and answered their question honestly and they gave me a list of ten breed each. Shetland Sheepdog was top three in all three websites. It worked for me.

Now I know a lot more about breeds and dogs in general. If you are thinking about choosing a breed to fit the bill , I think I can help you choose the right breed. Specially I know a lot about Livestock Guardian Dogs and larger dogs in general.

Give it a go, what do you have to lose ? It is just a suggestion but can save you a lot of headaches the wrong breed may and will create for you.

That Japanese friend of mine now has a small dog. I suggested the breed to her. Every now and then I used to take my dog to old neighborhood and she looked happy when her small well behaved dog was playing with other dogs. She was the same owner, it was just the right breed.

Anybody thinking about a new dog?

Okay... you piqued my curiosity. Tell me what breed I should get?! :D
Tell me about the expectations you have from perfect dog of your dream.

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Farming? homesteading? inside dog? outside dog? guardian? companion ship?
Any livestock?
Your experience with dogs in general.

Your pet peeves about dogs?

The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog?
Your family size and structure?

Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash?

Looking at your avatar seems you love Dobermans. It is hard to suggest anything better than Doberman in many cases but I tell you why Doberman is not in my list of dogs to keep.

It has nothing to do with the breed but it has everything to do with the pre judgement that almost every Doberman faces in public places if he/she is off leash. It is almost impossible to expect strangers to not prejudice your Doberman with what they have seen in previous Dobermans.They naturally extend that possible negative behavior they have seen before to your Doberman which is not fair both to you and your dog.

I'll play. How about a suggestion for me?

Let's see.

Purpose: guardian/personal protection/working dog
Living: inside
Other pets: chickens, cats and horses
Experience: owned dogs my whole life plus rescue/foster. Poodles, Mastiffs, Dobermans, Wolfhounds, Pits, ACD, Chows, Sharpei, Bull Terrier are just some of the breeds I have experience with. Work at a small animal Veterinary Clinic.
Pet peeves: killing small animals
Home/Living: farm with woods
Family: small with no children
No interest in ever having a dog off leash in a public place.

Nothing over 100lbs preferably 60lbs. Shorter coat.

I'll play. How about a suggestion for me?

Let's see.

Purpose: guardian/personal protection/working dog
Living: inside
Other pets: chickens, cats and horses
Experience: owned dogs my whole life plus rescue/foster. Poodles, Mastiffs, Dobermans, Wolfhounds, Pits, ACD, Chows, Sharpei, Bull Terrier are just some of the breeds I have experience with. Work at a small animal Veterinary Clinic.
Pet peeves: killing small animals
Home/Living: farm with woods
Family: small with no children
No interest in ever having a dog off leash in a public place.

Nothing over 100lbs preferably 60lbs. Shorter coat.
Your resume speaks for itself. You know dogs and dog breeds and definitely do not need my input. You have seen and been with them all better than many .

I am here to help people with less knowledge and less experience than you .

Since you have been here may I suggest you look at these not so much popular but amazing and proven dog breeds that may suit your need and is not very popular:

Black Mouth Cur: The oldest American breed with proven Jack of all trade master of none personality that was the choice of early settlers.

Chinook: Amazing all purpose dog originated in New Hampshire

Appenzeller Sennenhund : looks like smaller healthier short hair but ancient version of Bernese Mountain dog

Hovawart : Just an amazing ancient German breed that was replaced by more popular German Shepperd . This is my dog breed of choice when I am ready for the next puppy.

I helped a friend's Dissertation with testing and training litter's of puppies, about 70 different breeds. I feel like you that I not only know almost all dog breeds but I also know something about their dna driven personality traits. But you love what you love. If you or someone else told me that I'm compatible with Saluki's, no offense to Saluki's but I'm sure that I'm never going to get one. I've loved, trained and showed Sheltie's and Newfoundlands my entire life but my forever dog is the Leonberger. I will have Leonberger's til the day I die. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to what you're doing but I think there is very little chance that you'd pick a Leo for me so I just thought I'd give some food for thought about people and their dogs. But have fun, it's an okay idea really and I would find it interesting or even amusing what dog you'd pick for me knowing that I'm opinionated, live on a River, have chickens and Leonbergers, not super old, but not young either😅☮️
IMG_8720 (2).JPG
☮️😅

Ok, here we go!

My perfect dog would be kid friendly, cat friendly, baby chick and grown chicken friendly, stay within a non fenced yard. Doesn't shed, minimal health issues with aging. Adoptable, won't buy from breeder. A dog that doesn't get moody with age. Hypoallergenic to people and doesn't have allergies or skin problems. Minimal shedding. A dog that's ok being lazy but also can go on the occasional hike. I have two cats, chickens, an elderly bully breed (who is the perfect dog in every way other than her allergies) and a five year old. We wouldn't need to use a leash with our current dog but we do out of respect for others that see pitty and are automatically cautious

Ok, here we go!

My perfect dog would be kid friendly, cat friendly, baby chick and grown chicken friendly, stay within a non fenced yard. Doesn't shed, minimal health issues with aging. Adoptable, won't buy from breeder. A dog that doesn't get moody with age. Hypoallergenic to people and doesn't have allergies or skin problems. Minimal shedding. A dog that's ok being lazy but also can go on the occasional hike. I have two cats, chickens, an elderly bully breed (who is the perfect dog in every way other than her allergies) and a five year old. We wouldn't need to use a leash with our current dog but we do out of respect for others that see pitty and are automatically cautious
Why won't buy from a breeder?

This is an interesting thread. I'll bite out of curiosity but after current dog passes I'm not having more dogs I don't think ...

What is the purpose of you choosing a dog? Companion
Farming? homesteading? No
inside dog? outside dog? Inside
guardian? Yes
companion ship? Yes
Any livestock? Sometimes
Your experience with dogs in general. Have shown and bred AKC bred/champions my entire young life, now have a "real job" lol

Your pet peeves about dogs? Hair, slobber, too clingy, disobedience.

The home,land,exercise and attention you are happy to give your dog? Fenced in back yard, occasional hikes, generally alone a lot.
Your family size and structure? 2kids and one adult, some chickens. Livestock when we visit family. Gone often so either needs to be good staying alone or be packable

Do you want to walk your dog in public places like parks off leash?

I helped a friend's Dissertation with testing and training litter's of puppies, about 70 different breeds. I feel like you that I not only know almost all dog breeds but I also know something about their dna driven personality traits. But you love what you love. If you or someone else told me that I'm compatible with Saluki's, no offense to Saluki's but I'm sure that I'm never going to get one. I've loved, trained and showed Sheltie's and Newfoundlands my entire life but my forever dog is the Leonberger. I will have Leonberger's til the day I die. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to what you're doing but I think there is very little chance that you'd pick a Leo for me so I just thought I'd give some food for thought about people and their dogs. But have fun, it's an okay idea really and I would find it interesting or even amusing what dog you'd pick for me knowing that I'm opinionated, live on a River, have chickens and Leonbergers, not super old, but not young either😅☮️View attachment 3211726☮️😅
You are my favorite forever. Shetlands and Leonberegers are amazing overall.
Knowing Leonberger and their origin and the story of Leonberger of East and West Germany during the Wall Fiasco I love this breed. They definitely have a very loyal club for good reasons. I salute Leonbergers.

My suggestion for you is Hovawart for many reasons . I know a fellow that had Hovawart and a Newfoundland and they were a good match. Hovawart although smaller than your Leonberger can play with him/her and keep his own end of the rope.

They are Ancient German breed and since you love Leo you may like Hovawart as a second dog.
They live around 13 plus years old.
Hovawart is not as keen to water as Newfoundland but maybe as good as Leo in swimming or affinity to water.

I am maybe biased about Hovawart but let me what you think.

Back
Top Bottom