Lethargic 8yo hen.

If she seems to be suffering , I would consider putting her down. It is hard to know exactly what is going on with her. Cancer is common, but reproductive disorders are as well. A necropsy may show what has been going on. I usually consider putting them down, once the others starting picking on a sick hen.
I don't know if I could put her down...it's hard for me. 😞

Recently, I had a very sick hen. She wasn't eating, losing weight, lethargic, weak. I had her on Doxycycline for a week. I suspect she has tumors. But it's a suspicion. I can't know what's going on inside where my eyes can't see. Nor can any of us know what going on inside your hen. So this is what I do when I am considering euthanizing a chicken since I want to be sure I've done everything I can before doing something irreversible.

I tube fed her with raw egg and baby cereal, water, and Nutri-drench and a spoonful of sugar. If she was weak from merely not eating, this should improve a chicken. Next, I gave her a double dose of the strongest antibiotic I had on hand, Cephalexin. I figured if there was no improvement with these strong measures, I would feel confident she wasn't going to respond to anything, and that I could euthanize without second guessing myself that I was doing the right thing.

Well, she made dramatic improvement in 24 hours, and while not cured, she's a lot better. So, I didn't have to euthanize her at this time.

If you do something similar with your hen, you can be confident you've tried everything. Euthanizing your hen may be rough on you, but it's no where near the suffering a terminally sick chicken goes through.

Recently, I had a very sick hen. She wasn't eating, losing weight, lethargic, weak. I had her on Doxycycline for a week. I suspect she has tumors. But it's a suspicion. I can't know what's going on inside where my eyes can't see. Nor can any of us know what going on inside your hen. So this is what I do when I am considering euthanizing a chicken since I want to be sure I've done everything I can before doing something irreversible.

I tube fed her with raw egg and baby cereal, water, and Nutri-drench and a spoonful of sugar. If she was weak from merely not eating, this should improve a chicken. Next, I gave her a double dose of the strongest antibiotic I had on hand, Cephalexin. I figured if there was no improvement with these strong measures, I would feel confident she wasn't going to respond to anything, and that I could euthanize without second guessing myself that I was doing the right thing.

Well, she made dramatic improvement in 24 hours, and while not cured, she's a lot better. So, I didn't have to euthanize her at this time.

If you do something similar with your hen, you can be confident you've tried everything. Euthanizing your hen may be rough on you, but it's no where near the suffering a terminally sick chicken goes through.
Thank you for the reply! I may try what you gave your hen, but I do not have anything for tube feeding, as I have not done it before. That is, if she makes it through the night, because I think there's a possibility she may not make it. 😔
If she doesn't pass before next Thursday and is not in a good condition, I think I will need to euthanizie, as I can't go away with her sick, and I don't have anyone that would take care of her.

What is the best method for euthanizing a sickly chicken?

Cervical dislocation is very quick and painless for the chicken. It's instant. If you have strong hands, you can do it following these instructions. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/

Some people utilize a broom stick. I've never used it, but others say it makes cervical dislocation much easier. You would follow the basic principle above but use the broom stick to hold the chicken in placed so you can do the procedure.

:hugsI'm sorry about your hen @Tookie

I agree, I'd offer supportive care for a few days to see if she bounces back for a little while.
At any time during treatment you feel she's had enough or is in pain, then kindly putting her down would be best.

For my sick hens, I use the broomstick method. No method is perfect or easy on the heart.
Do you have a family member or neighbor that can assist or be with you if needed?

Cervical dislocation is very quick and painless for the chicken. It's instant. If you have strong hands, you can do it following these instructions. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/

Some people utilize a broom stick. I've never used it, but others say it makes cervical dislocation much easier. You would follow the basic principle above but use the broom stick to hold the chicken in placed so you can do the procedure.
I was thinking this would be the way to go, I've never done it before so it's new to me.

:hugsI'm sorry about your hen @Tookie
Thank you, it's so hard with her because she's from my original flock. :hmm
I agree, I'd offer supportive care for a few days to see if she bounces back for a little while.
At any time during treatment you feel she's had enough or is in pain, then kindly putting her down would be best.
Okay, will do.
Do you have a family member or neighbor that can assist or be with you if needed?
Yes, I do.
I may not even do it, it'd be so hard for me. 😭

Thank you, it's so hard with her because she's from my original flock. :hmm

Okay, will do.

Yes, I do.
I may not even do it, it'd be so hard for me. 😭
I'm sorry! :hugs

This is something that given time, we all must face and accept, but yes...it's hard.
Having someone with you I think would be best.

Back
Top Bottom