Lethargic and underweight Leghorn

MenachemEliyahu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Florida
I found one of my chicken lying on the ground. I can’t say exactly when she stopped laying but it seemed as if she was molting. She had lost all her tail feathers and her comb is pale. She is about 10 months I’ve noticed recently that she has been lethargic. When I took her out I could feel her breastbone and she felt very thin. I don’t see any discharges but her breathing seemed labored. Some of her droppings are stuck to her feathers by her vent and seems dry and clumpy. The other two chicken are acting normally. I have two feeders set up and I always keep an eye on it. She seems to be the top of the pecked order and it doesn’t look like she was picked on.

The biggest issue I have is that my toddler has a habit of throwing random things in to the coup.

I would like to nurse her back to health but I need help how to determine what is wrong with her.

Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

What are random things thrown into the coop?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

How does her crop feel?
Any lice/mites?

I would work on getting her hydrated, feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for fluid or bloat, check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Are all 3 chickens the same age? If so it unlikely one one is molting. Is he being pecked and bullied?
She sounds close to death. I would separate her in a dog crate and try to foods to boost some nutrition quick.
How is her crop?
Is she egg bound?
what do you feed?
If she ate something foreign it may be stuck, who knows.
Hope you figure this out!

She hasn’t pooped yet since I isolated her.

I can’t say when was the last time she laid. I have 3 birds but they all didn’t lay consistently.

My toddler throws small toys into the run.

I’m located in Martin county Florida.

I feed them Kalmbach poultry feed.

I don’t know what to feel for.

No signs of lice/mites.

She feels thin all over. She’s been attempting to stand, but not for long.

Attachments

• EC458CA1-9DC5-47DD-8DA2-E45B24BBA64C.jpeg
    EC458CA1-9DC5-47DD-8DA2-E45B24BBA64C.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 26BC71AE-95C4-4BA6-8E36-128962288AD1.jpeg
    26BC71AE-95C4-4BA6-8E36-128962288AD1.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 5E4018EF-9F90-4758-B632-2805DDF83636.jpeg
    5E4018EF-9F90-4758-B632-2805DDF83636.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 6
Are all 3 chickens the same age? If so it unlikely one one is molting. Is he being pecked and bullied?
She sounds close to death. I would separate her in a dog crate and try to foods to boost some nutrition quick.
How is her crop?
Is she egg bound?
what do you feed?
If she ate something foreign it may be stuck, who knows.
Hope you figure this out!
They’re all about the same age. She’s the only one who lost her tail feathers.

She’s the bully of the group.

It doesn’t feel like that there’s an egg in her.

You mention it doesn't feel like there's an egg in her - you felt inside the vent right?
What's her poop look like?

I would check her crop (right front breast) to make sure it's emptying overnight. If it's squishy or fluid filled, then that would be part of her problem.

First thing I would work on is getting her drinking. Fluids are important. Once she's hydrated, then offer a bit of wet feed or scrambled eggs.

Her comb is slightly purple, does she seem to be having some breathing difficulties?

You mention it doesn't feel like there's an egg in her - you felt inside the vent right?
What's her poop look like?

I would check her crop (right front breast) to make sure it's emptying overnight. If it's squishy or fluid filled, then that would be part of her problem.

First thing I would work on is getting her drinking. Fluids are important. Once she's hydrated, then offer a bit of wet feed or scrambled eggs.

Her comb is slightly purple, does she seem to be having some breathing difficulties?
I felt outside near the vent for an egg. I didn’t think of checking in the vent.

The poop that is stuck to her is clumpy, chalky, and felt a little sticky.

I started giving her some water.

Her breathing seems labored.

She could be labor breathing from many things. She could have an impacted crop, putting pressure on her trachea, causing her to have trouble breathing from it. She may have a heart issue such as congestive heart failure or heart disease. By the color of her comb, that may be the cause. Poor circulation throughout her body.

As for her poop, she also could be dealing with an infection of some sort like Salmonella, e-coli or even an egg may have broke inside her. How is she now?

Back
Top Bottom