Lethargic Chicken Not Eating or Drinking-Guidance Please

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
My 6.5 yo Ameracauna began occasional mouth breathing a few weeks ago. I thought she was just hot or nervous (she is a very nervous nellie). Then she started with liquid poos earlier this week. I noticed roundworms in her droppings so I wormed her yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon she stopped drinking and eating and was standing in the yard. Since this morning she has been sitting and breathing heavily. I gave her a little water with a syringe, but she pecked the syringe away when I tried to give her more. Although she ate a few sunflower seeds, she really doesn't want food either.

I have a vet appointment today at 3:30. If there is anything I can do to help her I want to do it but I am afraid the vet will tell me she can't do anything and ask if I want to euthanize her. What should I do? Let her pass in her own time or have her put down? Is there a chance the vet can give her something and she can recover from this? I don't want her suffering.
I am so heartbroken because she is my favorite hen and the BFF of my only other chicken. Thank you for any advice you can offer about this.

I would see what the vet says and go from there. At 6.5 years there are many things it could be, including a reproductive problem. Whether it can be treated or not, just depends on what's going on. Hopefully they can help, or at least give you enough information so you can make an informed decision. Best of luck. Let us know what they say.

I would see what the vet says and go from there. At 6.5 years there are many things it could be, including a reproductive problem. Whether it can be treated or not, just depends on what's going on. Hopefully they can help, or at least give you enough information so you can make an informed decision. Best of luck. Let us know what they say.
My girl passed away this afternoon, not long after I posted this. Now I only have my white Wyandotte. Getting more chickens isn't feasible at this time so she is going to be my only. She already follows me everywhere so I guess now I'm her flock mate. I wish chickens had longer lives! Rip my beautiful Hawke.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
A necropsy is the best way to know for sure what happened.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you. I thought about a necropsy but I don't like the idea of her being cut open. I think she had more debilitating issues than I was aware of and the dewormer may have been too much for her old body. Hawke had a good, long life for a chicken. She gave me 5-6 eggs per week even as a senior hen. Her last egg was laid the day before she passed, a beautiful, blue egg with a thick shell.

Back
Top Bottom