lethargic chicken

It's unusual but not unheard of for egg binding to go unresolved for this long. I had a hen go nine days with a prolapse and obstruction. It turned out not to be an egg, but tissue from an egg. Once it was passed, the hen bounced back to normal immediately.

You may not see an egg. If it's merely tissue causing this, you may not see it if it comes out in poop. But your hen will behave noticeably more normal.

It's unusual but not unheard of for egg binding to go unresolved for this long. I had a hen go nine days with a prolapse and obstruction. It turned out not to be an egg, but tissue from an egg. Once it was passed, the hen bounced back to normal immediately.

You may not see an egg. If it's merely tissue causing this, you may not see it if it comes out in poop. But your hen will behave noticeably more normal.
ok, thanks for this. wow nine days! I just decided to bring her back outside so she can get the flock interaction and hopefully regain her place as top hen. I saw her eat and drink and peck around a bit, and she’s perched alongside the others in the run as they like to do every morning. I’ll keep watching for the day and see if anything resolves. I’m hoping she feels the urge to use a nest box today since she’s got access to the coop again. thanks for all the guidance it’s been really helpful.

Attachments

• 7E4DABED-2242-4D46-8CF5-9FD23EAE4FE9.jpeg
    7E4DABED-2242-4D46-8CF5-9FD23EAE4FE9.jpeg
    730.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 632D308E-1CB2-4872-96F8-A33C5EEB7D89.jpeg
    632D308E-1CB2-4872-96F8-A33C5EEB7D89.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 3

she had a pretty normal day yesterday out with the flock, now this morning we’re back to this. she still hasn’t laid and now this morning she hasn’t eaten. ugh I wish I could help her

Attachments

• 85C61118-FC39-4A18-A29C-B03EAFBABAD4.jpeg
    85C61118-FC39-4A18-A29C-B03EAFBABAD4.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 2
If she loses strength, you may need to tube feed. Are you up for it?
how is that done? I took her out of the run and got her to eat a bit of yogurt with electrolytes again. she hopped off my lap and just moseyed herself across the yard back up to the coop. now she’s laying there looking not great. she pooped on the way. I have the pen set up for her in the garage I’m assuming she’s gotta go back in…
FCFFFB85-6BDE-492B-BCE3-AE4EA2FC5A9B.jpeg
78E424E9-99EB-4B6A-BFDB-B14656932D18.jpeg
897C7704-0D39-40E0-80E1-83775BACA7E0.jpeg

The poop indicates she's not eating. While chickens can go a while without food, they can quickly lose strength, then they lack the will to eat. Also, not eating may also risk dehydration. Tube feeding can intervene and keep a chicken from the tipping point into starvation and the downhill slide that often portends.

The easiest thing would be to ask your vet for a tube feeding kit (catheter and feeding syringe for a small animal). My vet only charged me $3 for the one I have. Or you can make your own with aquarium or oxygen tubing, and then try to find a large syringe to fit it. I mix up some yogurt, raw egg, a little baby cereal in warm water with Poultry Nutri-drench. I feed up to a half a cup twice a day. One day of tube feeding usually recharges the hen and she will then eat on her own. Hydrating a hen in this method also helps her to clear the obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom