lethargic duck, need advice

She's definitely getting stronger but she's still not eating without me holding her in front of the food. She just seems really sleepy all the time. I've gotten her to eat a mix of her regular food and some water plus kale on top. She ate a little mashed banana, didn't like the yogurt, and enjoys but is not nuts for the shredded carrot. We're getting some dog food shortly.

She hasn't pooped yet. I've massaged her crop but I don't think thats where the problem is. I read about giving mineral oil to chickens with intestinal blockages. I couldn't find out if that would work for ducks. Would mineral oil hurt her do you think?

Today I found that Coco had broken into the partition and all the girls were cuddled up next to each other on either side of the partition. My guess is that when my girl (unnamed for fear this would happen) died she was cuddled up with her sisters.
sad.png
That was her happy place. Rest in peace little one.

I will sterilize the brooder and all their food and water containers today, just in case that does any good for the rest of them. Coco was showing a little less interest in food than normal yesterday, but I think she and that sister were particularly close. Coco spent a lot of time laying next to her when she was partitioned off and may have been more stressed than the others by all of this. I will keep an eye on her.

I'm so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Gosh, this is like the saddest thread ever!
hit.gif

Praying for the rest of your little duckies!
hugs.gif

ETA: Rip sweet tiny ducky!
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom