Lethargic Hen/Pullet

Did you happen to get some images of the ultrasound so you can post them?
If the egg is sideways in the oviduct, I'm not sure if she will be able to expel that or not.
You think it's soft shelled? How close to the cloaca/vent opening is it?
No. I doubt she will be able to expel it, so we're hoping the calcium will harden up the shell so we can help turn it the right way. Not sure how close it is, can't feel it or see it.

No. I doubt she will be able to expel it, so we're hoping the calcium will harden up the shell so we can help turn it the right way. Not sure how close it is, can't feel it or see it.
The calcium may help with contractions, but the egg may not harden up.
Hopefully she can get it pushed farther down where you can either help her get it out or have your friend help you deflate it with a needle - it's risky to do that so give her some time to see how it goes.

The calcium may help with contractions, but the egg may not harden up.
Hopefully she can get it pushed farther down where you can either help her get it out or have your friend help you deflate it with a needle - it's risky to do that so give her some time to see how it goes.
Ok. Yes, I'm hoping she can push it down farther to where we can feel it! I really hope we don't have to deflate it.

I'd recommend KY jelly instead of vaseline. It's water based rather than petroleum based and very slippery. I have a tube just for my hens and simply move the tube into position and give a good squeeze up the vent, wash the tube well and save the rest for next time.
Mmmm, yogurt with mashed eggs and hidden medicine sounds hard to resist :p

Back
Top Bottom