Lethargic hen, white watery poop, not drinking and barely eating

Katie Pigtails

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Portland, OR
17 month EE, eats Cascade Layer, lives in a coop with pine chips and a sand run. She was acting fine yesterday. Running around the yard keeping her treats from her sisters. This morning she wouldn't come off the roost. I placed her outside and she just stood there. Normally she is the first one out of the coop and to the feeder in the morning.

I brought her inside and made her some scrabbled eggs. When I went back to her crate she was laying on the floor instead of her roost. She was barely moving, had her tail down and could barely keep her eyes open. She refused to eat the eggs. I had to leave for work. When I came home she was sitting on the floor face down in the food. She begrudgingly stood up when I tried to pick her up. Her crop has some food in it and I've seen her eat some since I have been home. She turns her head up at water. She also won't eat any greens which are her favorite.

I was sitting with her in my lap a minute ago and she pooped on the towel I had her one. It was almost all white and fairly runny/mucus filled. The was a very little bit of brown stuff and it looked like jelly. She's standing on the floor preening now and seems a bit more energetic, tails up.

Any ideas what is going on?

I thought we were doingso well! She had a great day yesterday. Eat and drank a bunch and I mean a bunch! Was running around the house flying up on stuff. I thought she was on the mend. This morning her crate had several normal looking dropping. When I let her out at 7:00am though she seemed to be moving a little slow. Now she is barely eating or drinking, is laying down on the floor or standing with her eyes shut, she's all fluffed up. Her vent is also pulsating like she needs to go the bathroom or lay an egg. she hasn't laid since Wednesday but I don't know if she would lay when she is so sick.

I've got her on Sulmet (for about 48 hours now), have been giving her yogurt and cottage cheese with live cultures, and I just don't know what else to do for her. She's a dear friend and I just don't know what to do to help her.

Should I try worming her? Should I stop the Sulmet?

She laid an egg late on Wednesday but I did feel for an egg just in case. There is not one. I've started her on Sulmet for cocci.

Last night she perked up quite a bit. Still pretty perky this morning. Eating lots of greens and food. Drinking really well. She is still sleeping more than normal and is fluffed up but when she is awake her tail is up and she is talking to me. She's even complaining about being in her crate this morning. Totally different then the bird I came home to... face down in her food not moving. I really did think we were going to lose her but I'm cautiously optimistic now. She's my favorite. She sits on my lap and takes a nap every day after work.

Does anyone have a solid idea of what this is? My whole flock (was 13 hens and one rooster, down to 9 hens and my rooster isn't looking good.) I have tried everything I can think of. Deworming, treating for cocci. I don't know what to do! I lost 4 hens in just under 10 days and now my rooster is acting like he's on his way out. He is barely a year and absolutely the sweetest, most fellow. Any help is appreciated.
i know late response, check for fungal and protozoal - here is a med for protozoal
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/4-in-one-powder.html

if you suspect fungal here is the med for it
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/AB10232.html

ventgleet, sour crop etc

How do you check for egg?
I just noticed one of my hens is lethargic and had watery poo. I didn’t see anything in the mouth, the crop feels soft, her backside is a bit dirty. She is an older hen, if 2-3 years is considered old. She lay nice big eggs before.
I need to learn to spot egg/ovary issues and what to do about it.
Sometimes you can feel from the outside but you might have to put on a glove with some vasaline and insert one finger gently into the vent. Push your finger straight back approximately 2 inches or so. If she's egg bound you should be able to feel the egg... If you don't feel an egg then she is not egg bound ( according to what I've read on it...) . We believe our turkey hen had salpingitis and we treated her with antibiotics... Baytril 2x/ day for 5 days.

Last edited:
I will try to post pictures to make my case when this site is fixed. It is frustrating to keep rewriting my thought because the server keeps crashing.

I don't know, chickens seem to lose their appetite and be sluggish with every illness. Off the top of my head, I would treat for coccidiosis. It's mixed in the water, you may want to give her some of the medicated water by syringe at first, or soak a cube of bread in it. No they do not need bloody stool to have cocci.

Did you feel for an impacted egg?

I know if its white runny stools it a signe of dehydration as mine had it when i took her to the vets. I had to syringe her with water every couple hours making sure the syringe is on the top of her tongue and squeeze gently. Also put some ACV in or some vitamins, if you have neither a bit of suger is fine.. Mine had worms so had to treat them for 5 days with flubenvet. Hope this helps a little im just giving you advice i was given off my vet and there is no signe of worms...

Wow, I have a chicken with very similar symptoms.... All you experts out there- any knowledge about this one?

I am on the brink of deciding whether to put her down humanely, then she seems better, then not so much again. I really want to do right by her and not extend any suffering, but also not needlessly euthanize her.

Ugh, this is the one part about having chickens I really don't like
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom